1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loader backhoe ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drewskie, Oct 15, 2015.

1. drewskie

drewskie Junior Member

Has any one on here used a backhoe loader for snow removal. I'm wondering how it worked and if any one used a snow push or wing with it. Also what are some ups or downs about it ?

2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Not personally but the town has a few they run with 12' blades. Seem to work just fine.

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

4x4 backhoe work real good with no more than a 12 ft pusher. I have used them before never owned one. We use excavators and have wheel loaders for snow. The only problem you would have is if you had to hire trucks for removal.

You would have to find big 6 wheel or small 10 wheel. Most of the big aluminum boxes you will not reach good. Some truckers with the big boxes won't show if they know your loading with backhoe. This is not to discourage you. There is plenty of small trucks for hire. No worries if I owned one it would be pushing snow somewhere.

4. drewskie

drewskie Junior Member

Thanks for the input I do not own one yet but need one for the summer. I also have small 16' dump trailers that a small loader can load fine. I was just wondering how much slower they would be for moving around parking lots compared to a loader or skid steer

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I run one at a large site of mine with a 12 foot pusher. Best decision I ever made.

6. drewskie

drewskie Junior Member

Do you get enough down presure to scrape down to pavement? The seem like they would be back end heavy

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

They are not any slower, 4sp case 580 we used 3rd gear not recommended cause you could over heat torque converter. We never had that problem. Case backhoes are indestructible. I noticed in the case wheel loader they are a little light easy to lose traction.

Skid steers are OK for loading docks and apartment complexes and small jobs what we use ours for. I don't like the fact that they don't have good visibility in operators seat and also will lose traction on longer runs. If you need the backhoe in summer it will be fine for your winter operations.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

If you got your boom all the way up and locked they are not heavy in the rear. You would have to have your boom extended out for this to happen. You do not need a lot of down pressure. Set the front part of your pusher first by curling down and in the down position set your back of pusher. This will ensure your pusher to be level.

You want your skid shoes to wear evenly. I hope you plan on using a rubber edge or trip style pusher. If not I hope you know where every man hole and catch basin is. That's a ride I don't want to take.

9. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Absolutely. They actually aren't back heavy at all if the boom is locked up. Weight of the boom is almost centered over the rear wheels. Plus the front boom and bucket with the pusher is a lot.