1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loaded tires on a wheel loader?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by PhilFromErie, Jul 21, 2012.

1. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Does anyone here load the tires on they're wheel loaders for better traction in the winter? Im thinking of doing it on an older clark and was worried that it might put more stress on the tranny and rob a lot of power. Any input will be appreciated.

2. speedy

speedy Senior Member

How are the tires? Are they the normal loader type? By that I mean big blocks of tread? How about grooving the tires to add more biting edges? I bought an IDEAL tire groover from here: http://www.bryke.com/wheel_tire_accessories.html

You can get up to 3/4" wide head and blades to cut a more appropriate size groove in these big tires. (or even multiple passes to widen it more) These will act like sipes on smaller tires. It will likely help the tires run a bit cooler. I've noticed that loader tires will loose a bit of traction as they warm as compared to cold tires.

Adding ballast to the tires will help some, but it will definitely affect the acceleration and braking as well as top speed. But grooving will assist traction, braking and steering to a greater degree, IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012