1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loaded question. Snow Ex 1875, Salt in WNY.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WNYSeasonalSvs., Nov 24, 2009.

1. WNYSeasonalSvs.

WNYSeasonalSvs. Junior Member
    from WNY

I'm the new owner of a new Snow Ex 1875, hitch mount, Vibrator & dual speed controller.
    Guess the guy picked it up with the intent of using it on a small chain, lost the contract, tossed in the towel w/o ever having a chance to use it. I managed to pick it up for a steal of a deal.
    Any pro's, con's, tips for this unit?

I understand it's designed for 50/50, straight sand or bulk. How would this unit handle/spread bagged product, loaded on site?

Obviously bulk is a heck of a lot cheaper & this unit was designed for bulk, so It's almost a no brainer. Except for the fact I have the ability to store bagged pallet material but not bulk. So I'm also looking for creative ways to store a small amount of bulk.
    Small as in enough for a 15 space office lot. Plus a 1.5 acre lot that only requires salting (as needed) as the lot will only be open a coupe days a week.

I've been outta the salt loop for a while, so I'm looking for suppliers in the area as well.:dizzy:

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

what did you give for it?

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

when you go to access the swing gate , dont forget to re-attach the harness plug . i forgot a few times and it dragged on the ground a few miles here and there wearing out the grommet .
    i then got smart and wire tied the slack where the installer did not .
    keep both plugs clean and free of debri . keep fresh dielectric grease on also.
    i hit the vibrator all the time , for free uniform flowing material , especially wet bulk.
    on her fourth year of service .real nice piece.:nod:

4. WNYSeasonalSvs.

WNYSeasonalSvs. Junior Member
    from WNY

Little more than 1/2 of what the local dealers are asking.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

So around $1500. That's a sweet deal! Congrats! I just paid almost $2500 online for mine. "local" dealers wanted $3000+.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

They are a good spreader. Using bagged material, just remember to leave the vibrator off and keep the auger turned down. Outwise you will throw way too much salt out!