1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

load salt night before storm?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by btammo, Oct 19, 2009.

1. btammo

btammo Member

Thinking about buying an electric v box spreader but am concerned about loading the salt the night before. Anyone have any luck and/or problems with this? Gas motors split the chunks up ok, but I am not sure about the electric. It wont be stored in a heated garage.

2. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm forced to tarp our piles so i pick and chose when loading depending on what the deal is. If the load of salt will be used right away, i'll go ahead and scoop off the bottom of the pile where rain/snow had infiltrated it, on nights before i'll dig above the ground so everything is dry materials. I have a tarp that came with my salt dogg so i dont worry about snow/drizzle getting into the load which is obviously a big plus...BUT i have been caught twice in the very beginning with frozen loads due to not knowing any better since i was a virgin...and it sucks LOL!! mainly snowing heavily with the wet heavy stuff and having to travel 30 minutes to drop it...she clumped on me. Then when i used to load the first few times i'd just drop the bucket and scrap the ground..pickin up the soaked stuff...well, that'd sit over night and freeze up...not good.

Spreading the sand/salt mix is where i have the biggest problem, i just buy that as i need it and the quarry does'nt cover the load so ALL the winter time mositure gets into it...i never load unless i'm going to dump within the hour/afternoon...sitting overnight is NOT an options, I dont need a 3500lb block of sand frozen int he back of my truck.:mad:

3. btammo

btammo Member

Yeah it is really convenient to load the night before, but i cant afford to have it clump up and have the electric motor stall out and not spread. What about throughout the day of plowing if you load in the morning before going out? Problems? I really like the idea of an electric spreader, but i dont want to bite the bullet only to have a big problem. Ahhh the choices. After getting it to my shop i can keep it dry inside.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would always load just before use....freezing up is no fun and is very costly time wise and broken parts..

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If you could load it and keep it warm, then load the night before. But if not, load before you go out.

I always keep my trucks loaded, I never know when I will need to go out to spread in a big hurry. But that being said. I have them all parked inside the heated shop.

J.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If your sand is mixed real hot, like 2 or 3 to 1, it shouldn't freeze. Straight salt freezes, learned that the hard way. I have been told if you put just a bit of sand in with your salt, it won't freeze. Haven't tried that. Long story - I usually load up in the morning, or when I head out.

As for driving all day, that can pack the material down, causing bridging. If i'm going to be plowing all day and not much treatment, I'll just put a bucket or two in for weight. Head back to the house and fill up when the storm is wrapping up.

7. btammo

btammo Member

Yeah it is really convenient to load the night before, but i cant afford to have it clump up and have the electric motor stall out and not spread. What about throughout the day of plowing if you load in the morning before going out? Problems? I really like the idea of an electric spreader, but i dont want to bite the bullet only to have a big problem. Ahhh the choices. After getting it to my shop i can keep it dry inside.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're looking at a spreader, definitely go electric. You will be so glad you did. Most of them have conventional metal bed chains if that is your preference.

9. btammo

btammo Member

Great replies thanks....and these are all electric spreaders you guys are using? What about the Western spreaders with the belt? Are they worse than the bed chains in these same conditions?

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I run Snow Ex 2400s. Never any trouble.

J.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the first generation Fisher PolyCaster with the rubber belt. Its the same as the Western Tornado. I have not had any trouble with it. I have snugged up the belt twice in two seasons. Takes ten minutes. I like it, very smooth and quiet. The new Fisher/Western/Blizzard spreaders went back to the metal bed chain. They also have two motors, which is really nice.

12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Boy, All the hard work building a business...It's nice to have a heated shop....LOL

13. Jay brown

we have a heated shop, but i'm pathetic because i wont bring my salt truck inside because it makes a muddy salty mess....i'll get over it some day...

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I take it ou don't weld or paint in your shop either. One of our trucks has salt in it from Dec 1st to April 1st, this is the truck we do site checks with and we've never had any real big problems. Ours are hydro's can't comment on electric.

15. Jay brown

i'm not a welder and def. do not paint inside...we still live in the apt. inside so the paint fumes might be hard on the little one.....one of my buddies stored about 25 ton of salt inside his heated steel building shop for about 2 years....i guess i'm too anal or just want to keep it new......

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Electric is the way to go

We've been all electric for six years now and would not go back. I use several of snowex products and they all work well. We do load at the time of the event. Very seldom will we load and leave it sit even though we are in a heated shop.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Wayne, how have the frames held up on your snow ex gear? That seems to be a common complaint with them. Are all your speaders auger style? Do you spread sand, or just salt?

18. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

not being critical but was wondering why some of you would want to load salt the night before and take any chance of freezing ect....would you need to be in that big a hurry or maybe you need to get loaded because it's not possible to get loaded 24/7 if you don't own your own salt? just curious

19. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

4000 lbs ice salt sickle

Ya you can load salt the night before, If you dont want to work the next morning. Even driving around with it in is not cool, packs tite and freezes tighter than a bulls ASS. I cant afford to be Lazy.:nono:

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

One time i had a issue with a gas v box that the salt got snowed on. Even thought the truck was stored inside it still was rock hard.

two bottles of the good -30 windshield washer fluid poured over the salt and we were off and running again.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009