1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

load range ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Nov 30, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

last storm i was slipping and sliding pretty good out of 4wheel. we are getting another storm tonight. there are no tire places open in my area on sunday so i was going to rotate my fronts to my rear temporarily until i can get a new pair tomorrow.

the problem is the set i have currently on the front is E load and the set on back is C load. i have an 8.2 boss V so it weighs in around 800lbs plus the truck and motor and the rest of the stuff up front. truck is a 2500GMC standard cab.

the question is will i be okay to run the C load up front for a night until i can get new tires tomorrow?

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I don't know for sure but , I woulndn't I do know load E can hold around #3000 pounds so I'm guessing c 's only hold # 2000 & front end guess 1200 plow 800 you would be at max how much air do you have in them ? I run a 2500 with 60 front 80 psi in the back 2000 pounds in the bed

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you have two different load ranges ???? Next time buy the right load range... E is best for piece of MIND... Heavier side wall...I have 01 2500 H D door sticker say load range E .. I would never go less... Especially with a plow on and the weight you mite carry in the bed of the trk.... Don't cheat it will get you into trouble... The old saying PAY NOW OR PAY LATER.....

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

wait you have a 4X4 and you run different tires front & rear. With significant differences in wear:eek:

5. carl b

from Ohio

Its apparent he knows his mistake .he is getting new ones . Nothings open on Sunday near him. So why is it if someone needs help all the on lookers came out to beat them ? After all you are the experts !!!

6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Absoutely not. Leave the "E" on the front. You have way more to loose than just sliding around if/when you blow one of those "C" rated tires on the front. Spin the daylight out of your tires for just ONE more day and get your new ones tomorrow.

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Im not sure why you have 2 diff load ranges, but who cares.

Next time around go will a Range " E" I run "E"'s on my 1500 even lol.

I dont know why some of you guys have to beat him up on this.

8. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

go Load E (10 ply) spen the money get either the wrangler slient armor or cooper discover ATR but have good rough tread but drive smooth and quite and I agree with clapper i have E on my 1500 also but we plow with it

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

We plow with our 1500 also.

We run MASTER CRAFT C/T COURSERS

10. carl b

from Ohio

good year silent armor is for me !! load E . but they do wear fast . 60,000 miles is how they sell them. I have never got 40,000 out of them .. I hope they stand behind them .

11. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

yes I do agree,mine have warn about 35% in 14000 but last season they took a beating with plowing and well overload in my 1500

12. terrapro

from MI

lol yeah i can take the abuse, been around here long enough. yes i know having different tires is bad but they were a temporary summer pair and the truck doesnt get much summer use, maybe a couple hundred miles.

anyway so the status quo says no on the change around. keep the E's on the front. i wish there was a place open today so i could take care of atleast the rears.

thanks for the comments, even the abusive ones :jester:

13. terrapro

from MI

actually anyone know a place thats open on sunday in MI, i would be willing to drive

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

You want tires bad dont you>

Snow today for u?

15. terrapro

from MI

lol, yes. we have a forecasted 10 wet heavy inches for the next 24hrs.

16. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Nice!

Now we know why u want tires lol

What Part of Mich u in

17. carl b

from Ohio

18. theplowmeister

from MA

OK time to get on my soap box:jester:

Who cares?
    different diameter tires on 4WD is Very bad for the drive train and dangerous:eek:

different brands and types of tires have different diameters (yes even the same size tire) and since he seams to feel that rotating the tires will help his problem of sliding around in 2WD
    I can only assume that his front tires have more tread than his rear tires.

Do you still say so what?

When in 4WD have you ever turned a sharp corner, what does the truck do?

well your front wheels are going around a circle and your rear wheels are going around a slightly smaller circle.

the same thing as running different tires front and back and going in a street line.

Example
    with tire A in the front and tire B on the rear.

the actual diameter (not size) of tire A is 31 inches, The actual diameter (not size) of tire B is 30"
    Different diameter tires travel different distances per revolution. Since that gears in the front and rear differentials are the same (again I assume). say 3.07 every time the drive shaft goes around ~3 times the wheel goes around 1 time. So for every wheel revaluation, the front wheel travels 97.38 inches, the rear travels 34.25 inches. thats a difference of 3.13 inches Thats not a problem in 2 WD. If your in 4WD the drive train connects the front wheel to the rear wheels. What happens to that extra 3.13 inches the front wheel wants to travel MORE than the rear wheel. a lot of stress on the drive train, until a tire slips to take up the difference distance that is 31.3 inches every time the front wheel goes around 10 revaluations or every 75 feet the rear tire gets dragged about 3 feet. or the front tire skids the 3 feet.

now the way it works is it does not wait until 3 inches builds up but happens constantly a wheel HAS to SLIP or SKID to make up for the difference in travel

So we have an axle skidding all the time once a wheel is skidding it looses traction in ALL directions. Like when you are going around a corner and slammed on the brakes the car (or truck) skidded strait. Thats why its dangerous.

Now we'r not locking up a wheel or using a 10 inch wheel up front with a 30 inch wheel in the back. The problem is proportional, the bigger the disparity between the wheel sizes the bigger the problem.

For all I know the actual diameter of the front load range C tire with more tread is the same as the rear load range D with less tread. But unlikely

OK I'l get off my soap box
    Thanks if you read the whole thing.

19. terrapro

from MI

mid-michigan. southwest corner of 96 and 23

plowmeister, i got your back man. i know and knew what your talking about.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  20. theplowmeister

from MA

terrapro

I was NOT trying to "beat you up" :jester: Apparently some people don't understand whats going on. with tires and 4WD.