1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Load Handler for salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpriester, Oct 24, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I wanted to share this with you folks that want a dump truck but don't have one. I am a small operation and have been hauling salt the last couple weeks to get stocked and being small i only need around 30 ton for a normal winter and was getting tired of shoveling so i thought to try my load handler and it works flawless. What took me half an hour now takes under 5 minutes. Those of you that want to bag some i suggest the ladder and cone method as it works really well, just set it up under the tailgate and lay out a tarp. I just unloaded 2800 lbs of bulk and it worked great. My supplier is 17 mile from me and this is the most cost efficient way for me.
    Be Safe
    Mike

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't the most cost effective way be having them deliver it instead of wasting your time/fuel/wear and tear on your truck?

3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Yes it would if i had a place to dump a tri axle load but the people around me will only haul 3 ton or so and they want $20 a ton plus mileage. I use $10.00 in gas when getting 1.5 ton and i can live with the wear and tear on the truck.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Gotcha, sounded like you were bringing in the 30 tons right away. Carry on.

5. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

OK I admit I'm stupid. Whats a load handler and ladder and cone?

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Hang a road cone between the rungs of a horizontal ladder, put the bag under the cone, and shovel using the cone as a funnel.

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

The next time i fill bags or buckets i'll take pictures.

8. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

OK, Thanks