1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Load Boosters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yard, Dec 23, 1999.

1. Yard

Yard PlowSite.com Veteran

Does anyone use Tibren load boosters on their truck? I just ordered a set ($140) for the front of my 95 Chevy K2500HD. I use a Diamond plow which really loads the front end when the bed is empty! I've been wanting to try them for a while, I hope they work as good as they are supposed to. Thanks for any input! Happy plowing

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Yes I have them on my K-3500 cab chassis and they work great. They dont affect the ride and they handle the plow great. I have a western v plow and the front end doesnt move when I raise the blade.<br>I also have them on the rear of my 84 k-20 again they work great, and alot cheaper than new springs. We also installed them on a 99 Ranger ext cab in the front and rear, we have a 7' meyer and a tailgate spreader mounted on the truck and the boosetrs helped a lot.<br>Dino

3. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes I have them on my K-3500 cab chassis and they work great. They dont affect the ride and they handle the plow great. I have a western v plow and the front end doesnt move when I raise the blade.<br>I also have them on the rear of my 84 k-20 again they work great, and alot cheaper than new springs. We also installed them on a 99 Ranger ext cab in the front and rear, we have a 7' meyer and a tailgate spreader mounted on the truck and the boosetrs helped a lot.<br>They also install in about 15 min per side. Very simple but effective.<br>Dino

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Has anyone used these boosters on a truck with leaf springs? I have all ford trucks and they all have front and rear leaf springs. The only thing is the 250 HDs sink a little bit too much in the front. I wonder if these boasters will help. I might be wrong but aren't all chevy's and dodge's useing coil spings in front?<p>Geoff

5. plowking35

from SE CT

No actually chevy uses torsion bar front IFS. The load boosters will work with any type front suspension. They replace the factory bump stops. <br>The part # is TLB 160F and is available from AW direst at 1-800-243-3194 for around $ 140.00<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff - I have a 94 F-250 that we used here in CT for 2 heavy seasons when I first purchased it. It has an 8' Fisher Minute Mount on it. After the second season the front end was drooping pretty bad and the tires were wearing out on the outside edge. We added a leaf to beef it up, and left the plow on for a while to straighten it back out. This seemed to help the truck all around because the plow stays on most of the winter, and the truck is always used for work - deliveries and pulling a trailer. It rides a little stiffer, but the plow doesn't pull the front end down anymore. Since I added the springs myself it was out of alignment for a while (the tires bowed out a little bit on top - I think the technical term is camber). We had the same place that sold me the springs do an alignment, and the truck has been fine. The alignment process requires solid wedges to adjust the Cast and Camber, so I wouldn't try it myself. BTW the spring place sells boosters, but in my case suggested the leaf for the F-250.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply<br>http://members.aol.com/scagrider

7. Patriot

Patriot Junior Member

I've been installing Timbrens in my customers trucks for years and I've never had negative feedback. They work as well on Fords as GM's although they're more notocable on the GM's. As with any Ford, watch your front tire wear.

8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We put a set on our f250 diesel.Helped keep the front up with 9.2ft boss v plow.But it made it ride like a tank with out the plow on.I just put a set of AIRLIFT air springs on front . Lots better than the timbren rubber bump stops.Air bags were less than 200 dollars.

9. Bryan C. King

Bryan C. King Junior Member

I have them on my 96 Chev. Tahoe. They work wonders and keep the fromt end of my truck from sagging. I would definately recommend them!

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Have not read about too many people being unhappy with them. Works good on the 86 Chev. Thinking of putting them on the back of the 89. It's starting to sag a little....Chuck

11. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Helped a lot with diving on Chev torsion bar suspension, but still need to have counterweight on rear because plow weighs almost 1000#. Much better with them than without them though.

12. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I think that my rear springs on my dodge 2500 have weaked. I will be installing a 800lb dump insert, it also pulls a heavy trailer, every day. Should I put new stronger springs, timberns both?

I would like the end result to be able to handle 1,200-1,500 lbs more with out sagging

13. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, I use the Timbrens too. On the front of my GM /01 2500HD - it was the only thing I could put on the front of there. I also put a set on the rear of my 89 2500. I am forever loading that thing up. Carry's my sander in the winter just fine. The nice thing about the Timbrens is that if you are not loaded, you don't use them so it does not affect your ride at all. The more you load, the more you notice the difference.

14. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

timbrens

Im my opinion they stink on a dodge 2500hd, one side completely buckles over and almost looks like it's sideways when the truck is loaded with sand...

Had it looked at and was told that the mount is made a certain way and due to the design of the mount and the design of the truck, the truck rail contacts the plate slightly off center so if one side gets loaded more or first (not sure) it buckles, actually not sure exactly when or why it buckles other than seeing that it's buckled after the truck is well loaded...

Anyone have any similar experiances with this situation, or suggestions?

I could always photo it somehow...if someone wanted to really see it...

It's been to two different mechanics, from the same company but differnt countys so I doubt that both mechanics were unable to rectify an incorrect installation...

Anyone have any comments to this?

Based on the above, I'm not too sure that the timbrens are of any beneficial use for my vehicle...

15. Mark Witcher

I have Airbags all 4 corners on my straight axle chevy. The rear are 5000 # units. Cheaper than new springs or over loads . Rides great loaded or empty. I load it with 525 gal spray tank, plus other equipment and pull 7 by 12 trailer. Why do you think most all semi trucks use air springs. Ride quality and weight capacity.

16. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I heard from my meyers dealer that using the timbrens, which are extended bumpstops, can cause concentrated stress points on the axle, at least this is the case on a 95&85 f150. With a solid axle or IFS I really dont see a problem though.

17. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Never heard of the stress point thing... Interesting...

My truck is a 2500hd cummins with every hd option that was available in 95 on it. The truck actually handles pretty well with over 2.5 yards on board. :eek:

My tires need to be upgraded to a higher range and this I know, but I think the timbrens on this truck might be a waste...

Anyone have any good recomendations on load ratings for the truck? I'm running the stock tires and rims and don't want to go to oversize tires or anything...

What's the deal with these airbags??
    How much does such a setup cost? Do you need to run hoses to each one from a centrally located compressor or pump or something? ANyone running them on a 2500hd?
    Even need to?

18. Mark Witcher

There at least 3 manufactures of air springs for pickups. Heavy duty air bags for rear are about $250 with out on board air compressor. Compressor is option , not required. I guarantee they will carry all that your tires can handle. No ass sagging. Load range E ( 10 Ply) pickup tires are rated for 3000# . 14 ply are only 3300#.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004