1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lllllllllllllooooooowwwwww ballers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kattoom125, Oct 17, 2009.

1. kattoom125

kattoom125 Member

Well, it finally hit home this weekend.. Found out this morning that one of my clients went with a low baller..... His son actually showed me what the #%%hole is doing them for....almost a quarter of what i was charging...

Soo, as my conversation ended with the son, he asked me if this guy dosent come through, can he call me as a backup? Ha ha ha ha ha

7 accounts lost because of a scumbag!!!!
  2. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i feel your pain
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Sure, why not?

he's last in line and the price is 50% more than what you quoted for the season.

don't tell him that til that morning when he calls though.
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Nice! I was going to suggest 20% more but, hey, go for it!
  5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Absolutely. If not under a contract, that would mean they should be treated as an "emergency service", which should cost more.

On the other hand, if you don't lose your cool, and take care of them if their new lowballer screws them, that may show the true value they get from you. Burning bridges can be costly, even if you've been done wrong. You could win them back solely by how you handle the situation, and it may actually improve your business relationship with them over before.

Unfortunately, the state of the union has put many in a financial panic, causing poor decisions solely based on the bottom line. Hopefully, most if not all will learn that value means more that just what the price is.
  6. procut

procut Senior Member

^Very good point.
  7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Why do we insist on buying "off shore" products. Why is Wal Mart a big player. Cuz they sell for less. Why wont the general public only buy from Nor th American manufacturers.????????????????
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Tis the season for a whole new breed of lowballing.
  9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

True about the burning bridges point. You would be THE professional to kindly take them back at the previous price, ask if they'd like to reevaluate their service level to perhaps save some money, and then explain how you've reserved equipment for them and cannot replace their business with such a late notice... which is why you are demanding they sign a multi-year deal before you clean-up the mess.
  10. GLLLC

GLLLC Member
    from CT

YOU JUST DON'T GET DO YOU :laughing::laughing:
  11. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

am i reading this correctly?? whaaaat??

Sadly, the profession i'm in has been inidated with low ballers wince the beginning of time, i dont like it, and the past year or so it's really been getting out of hand, but i'm staying true to myslef and not selling out in the construction end, and i sure as heck wont be selling myself out in the plowing aspect either...because like so many expereinced guys have stated before...i can stay at home doing nothing and go broke, so why would i want to actually go to work at it??

Things have a way of sorting themselves out, we pick up accounts based on half azzed contractors from the prior years, people question my selling price when i quote their lot, i could care less if it get it or not, there's plenty more fish in the sea...but the ones that do bite and take what i'm offering get treated like kings that winter and they get to see just where that increased price comes from. Two years ago i lost 2 long term accounts i had, been with them for 8 yrs prior...over $10 PER PUSH...which locally only adds upto roughly $100 over the entire season LOL!! I tried to talk sense into them but they were concerned about the bottom line that much, so i just smiled and said, have fun. Driving by last winter i just smiled when the doors had been open for 2-4 hours and their lot still was'nt done yet, and then later when they did do it, they pigeon holed themselves and did'nt push far enough back so by the end of the month they had enough room for employee parking and a few customer cars only.

IF they call back, which they wont since that manager they have is only worried about the bottom line, not quality or lawsuits, i will increase my bid, it's that simple. The second you make yourself desperate is the day you ought to consider a different job/profession...you have to be stubborn yourself since being a rug does nothing for building a strong reputation, it just allows people to see how easy your are to manipulate, and they'll push every chance you get to take more out of your pocket....
  12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (quoted for truth)
  13. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I always tell callers looking for a quick plow out, or someone waving me down after seeing me plow a customers driveway that if they would like stay on for the rest of the season it will be "this much", otherwise for a one time driveway cleaning it costs say $50 instead of $30 for example...Ive gotten plenty to come on, and some with deep pockets that wrote the "$50 check"...either way, always have plenty of customers, so it isnt a huge deal if they dont come on...try to keep it so that all the accounts can be reached within 3 hours after first push at the most (per truck)
  14. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

How much did the stubbon " I wont go down a 100.00" attitude cost you? I geuss if it was a couple thousand or more job where you expected to make more than 30% profit, would the 100.00 have been worth it?

I am a new guy to the industry trying to find my way in between the low ballers and rip offs. I only do residentials and have a bid for one small commercial lot. I know I just recently went through a haggle with a customer who had gotten a cheaper quote on a driveway that was 75.00 cheaper than me. Keep in mind that was a difference of 25% for me. SO I dropped from 300 to 275 to save losing the client. The fact that I live about a 1000 feet from the guy and I gave him 25.00 off was enough for me to save the sale.

I guess my point is was it worth losing a couple thousand dollars over a 100.00?

I know I am new and still figuring some stuff out. Depending on the profit margin I might have offered to split the difference before I walked away.

15. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

They come and go all the time. couple of 2 am snow storms will cure that when the sleep till 8 am
  16. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just goes to show you there is NO loyalty in this business. I have lost a few already because someone is doing it cheap. Some of the guys doing these places real cheap will be tired of it after a while if its a bad winter. Once they realize they aren't making as much as they thought they just stop showing up.
  17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Not sure what it is that I don't get????
  18. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I got lowballed by a big contractor the otherday , they said my work was the best they ever had but the head office picked the lowest bid, and thats no lie.Im getting tired of people saying well when that call back!!!!!! They wont they will just pick the next lowballer.