1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liveboxx update

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by Herm Witte, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We purchased two Liveboxx units with the Liveedge this fall for use this winter. After demoing a unit late last winter we knew we were going to purchase at least one. We have been extremely happy with our units, a 14' and a 16' model. As previously mentioned by myself and others the Liveboxx with the Liveedge does scrape our lots exceptionally clean and has an excellent ability to follow the contour of our various properties. In addition, our operators tell us they are saving fuel and time versus the rubber edged box plows we used previously. A final significant savings we realize is the reduced quantity of salt needed to clear the lot after plowing. The cost differential will soon be covered with the savings listed and our clients have noticed. We bent one spring on a side plate because an operator hooked something and that has been the only issue and that did not stop the unit from doings its work. We are very pleased! For those that care we look at this as a green initiative, less fuel used = less pollutants and less salt = a smaller impact on the environment.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious as to what manufacturer you were using before and why you decided to make a change?

3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Protech. The main reason for the change was that I felt that my clients deserved a better finished product than what the Protechs were giving them. Additionally, one of our clients properties has a very uneven surface which just was not being cleared very well.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I bought one also, a 10'. The location I use it at changed the specs that required steel edges on surface lots. They are also very conscious of salt usage--they salt most of the time, we help as needed. They have been thrilled with the results. As we have been also.

We also demoed one these past few storms and I was very happy with the results that I witnessed.

Pete, for me, rubber edged pushers are 20+ year old technology, it's time to move forward. I heard too many negatives regarding the Arctics, so that is why I held off this long. And I'm glad I did.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm glad to see to see you like them. Going from rubber to a live edge must be nigjt and day because we noticed a night and difference when going from rubber to a steel trip 14 years ago. Defineatley is on my to buy list as it seem the live edge had the durability factor that our Arctics do not.

6. Mark Oomkes

And this is why I held off on Arctics.

Thanks Dave, even if the other Dave says you are a Richard.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Herm, are you able to charge more for a more expensive tool to do the job better? I realize you use less salt, so do you alter the customers charge for using less? In other words, you charge less for salting because you're using less, but charge more for plowing because the blade is more expensive and does a better job. These questions are not meant as derogatory by any means, I have wondered how people are recouping the cost of these blades. Thanks.

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Fair question. Plowing time is more efficient but no decrease in pricing, using less material (salt) no decrease in pricing. However, you could say my rate,if figured per hour, went up because we are spending less time on the job. Finally,I will you a question. Do your rates vary relative to the age and quality of your equipment?

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Have 7 of them of various sites.....Very impressed so far....The scrape is second to none....We will see how they stand the test of time...:salute:

10. WIPensFan

I can say my rates didn't vary based on age or quality of equipment. I always strived to have great equipment and tried my best to eliminate the breakdown headaches associated with aging or inferior equipment. I see the value in these blades, I just wish the customers could see it more often.

11. Defcon 5

Have 5 of them on "High" profile seasonal accounts....The salt savings is substantial....

12. WIPensFan

Yes, I don't doubt that a bit. Explain...you are using less salt but charging the same so making more money? Or are you saying that's how the customer should realize the value, in having to pay for less salt?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  13. Defcon 5

Well, on a seasonal less salt equals more money in your pocket...You are using far more productive equipment to achieve better results.....Seasonal and all inclusive accounts is where these pushers really shine....

14. WIPensFan

Ok, I didn't know if your salt was included in your seasonals.

15. Mark Oomkes

Any account should benefit, assuming one is charging by the application.

16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We don't include salt in our seasonals either but sell the service on a per application basis. Since our rate stays the same, the salt savings will quickly help minimize the additional cost of a Liveboxx with the Liveedge vs a traditional box plow. It is reassuring to hear that others having the same positive experience we are having.

17. peteo1

Where do I find pricing and a distributor for these? Sent an email but haven't heard back from them yet. Maybe I'll try the old school way of actually calling and talking to a real person on Monday

18. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

PM Paul , he will get back to u quick . He responded to me in a day.

19. peteo1

Will do. Thank you for the heads up!

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You can call me directly on my cell phone 514-608-675. send me a text message, or email me paul@metalpless.com
    Paul Vanderzon