1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Live edge vs arctic

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by dodge2500, Feb 7, 2015.

1. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Well we just got done with a 20" wet heavy storm then lake effect and lots of blowing and drifting. After being frustrated with breaking blocks and cutting edges not lasting, we contacted Paul and he let us demo a 12' livebox pusher and let's just say the pusher isn't going back!! I personally ran the unit a lot and loved it. It's rugged and can stack with no issues and we feel it scrapes a little better even than the arctic did. I switched between the two units during the storm and ended up breaking 2 rubber blocks on the arctic. The only thing I would like to see the livebox do better at is the end plates tripping over curbs. If that could be improved somewhat like an arctic, these plows would be very hard to beat. I think a little longer skid shoe with taller end at a little more angle could easily fix the skid shoes not tripping over curbs. We were just very pleased with almost everything about this box. The oscillating hitch is very nice when stacking and following contours. It looks like we may have several arctic ld pushers for sale in the near future! Thanks Paul for the demo! We will be talking this week and sending a check your way!!

2. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Glad somebody compared the 2. I still hears stories about people using arctic and they say the never break blocks and still stack ,plow /etc. Then i hear stories about arctics always breaking blocks plowing / stacking,etc . Wonder if all the blocks are made the same and or wonder if theres a manufacturing problem with them. When did the metal pless live edge come out , this year ? Would like to hear about the durability of them . Im sure they have been tested for awhile before they came out and wondering how they held up. Like how Paul is on here and helps out with everything about this brand . Dont hear too much from arctics helping with problems or questions. Hopefully somebody with both will chime in. Never seen one where i live , yet.

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The LiveEdge was being field tested 4 years ago on muni plow trucks. These trucks plowed highway and city streets, and the results were amazing.
    They made some modifications, and then field tested them one more year on these same trucks. The owner Jimmy decided to make them available on pusher boxes last year and we sold out. Most everyone who purchased one last year bought more this year. We also made the LiveEdge available as an option this year on every plow me manufacture with the exception of the PlowMaxx skid steer, and the Agrimaxx light.
    We have over 200 snow contractors using our plows with the LiveEdge technology. In Quebec there are very few who use box pushers. They either use extendable plows that can also angle, or they use Hydraulic wing plows. I believe there are at least 10 people on PS who are using our plows, and are willing to talk about them. I thank you for that, Ryerson who bought the Vanderzon commercial snow division has 5 of them now, and they are saving him huge on salt alone.
    I am not here to put Arctic down, they have a great plow with many years of success, and thousands of end users. We did not copy the sectional, we made a totally different kind of plow. Here are some differences: Ours is a solid moldboard, this moldboard is attached in such a way that it can travel up and down on the hitch. I cannot use the proper term for this since Arctic has told us they have the trademark for this word. Our moldboard can also oscillate left and right allowing it to follow sloped pavement which we call a fifth wheel. Our side plates are spring loaded for a greater ease to set the plow flat every time. These three features together is what allows the plow to sit flat and true for the longest period of time. This makes it much easier for operators, especially new ones to keep the plow true to the ground.
    Now for the piece de la resistance our cutting edge. It comes in 24 inch sections that not only can move up and down 3.5 inches but it can also oscillate left and right allowing the cutting edge to follow the contour of any surface. This allows 100% of the cutting edge to scrape the uneven surfaces the snow contractor has been asked to keep free of snow and ice. Each individual 24 inch section has its own soft drive trip system (don’t let the name fool you, this is the same trip system all muni plows use in Quebec) protecting both the plow and the driver from the shocks of hitting manhole covers, etc. The cutting edge once placed on the ground get pushed up one inch and is thus armed and ready to plow snow. The two springs located on top of each cutting edge are constantly applying down pressure to the cutting edge pushing the cutting edge into the indents of the surface, and they can also travel upwards should the surface increase in height. Lastly the cutting edge which is made from CHT400, with a carbide insert giving our cutting edges hundreds of hours of wear life before needing replacement.
    All of these features combined is what gives our LiveEdge plows the capability to get you the best scrape of any other plow out there.

Liveedge1.jpg

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We really need to get one of these to demo. I loved how the arctics scraped but got so sick of replacing blocks. Our Boss pushers aren't even close to the arctic boxes. Supposedly the blocks are a better quality now, but the new LD 12 on our 244J is breaking them just like the old boxes.

Paul, I sent you an email last week and haven't heard back. What's your email address? I want to make sure I've got the right one.