1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

live box live edge?

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by Broncslefty7, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

there doesnt appear to be a live box live edge plow for skid steers. are there any metal pless dealers in the US, apparently their office is closed for the next two weeks.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

3. Broncslefty7

yeah i saw the pusher. there is no "wing movement" live edge plow for the skid steers that i see unless i am missing something

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

According to Paul VZ, the LiveEdge can be added to any\almost any of their current plows. Not the wings, just the main moldboard.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I believe the wings themselves are rigid and they have a floating shoe. Mark?

6. Broncslefty7

i believe so also. i think i mis titled the post it should have read something like "wings that move with main plow live edge....

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Mark O is correct, here is my live edge 10-16, you can put live edge on any plow as long as you can get the HD soft drive trip system as far as my knowledge

http://youtu.be/r74c01cvz_A

8. Mark Oomkes

When I grow up I want to be like Chad.

9. Broncslefty7

what is the HD soft drive trip edge? i do not see any information about it on their website. 2200 lbs seems like a very heavy atachment off the front of a skid steer

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Soft drive comes standard when you go with our HD and LiveEdge options.
    The best way to describe it, is the cutting edge is hinged in such a way when it catches an obstacle it trips back without lifting up the plow. All other plows when they catch an obstacle the cutting edge gets pushed back, lifting the plow up. Here is a video showing what I am trying to describe.

https://youtu.be/KknzbROIywo

As for the weight the smallest skid steer plow we make is an 6-11 that comes in at 1,500 lbs. LiveEdge is available on this plow. We are selling many 8-13 skid steer plows this year, the weight does not seem to be an issue. Here is a great video with no problems with the weight.
    https://youtu.be/8DNwKXH6rbQ
    Hope this helps.

11. Broncslefty7

15k seems insane for a snow plow...

12. Mark Oomkes

Opinions vary......

13. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

It is the swiss army knife of plows.

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That is for soft drive and Liveedge, with wings made from CHT400 steel, and all the plows cutting edges are carbide.

There is no other plow on the market that comes close to these options. It is not fair to compare that price to other plows on the market unless they offer similar options which they don't.
    You can always go for the PlowMaxx 0830-13 standard and you are looking at 9 grand, a great price for a quality plow.

15. Triple L

from Canada

2 seasons on my live box and I can flat out say, the cutting edges don't show hardly any wear and should last another 3-4 years if this keeps up, every other plow I've ever used went through a set every year or two, cutting edges are far from cheap, and over 10-20 will make up the difference in initial purchase price...

16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Paul was telling me 3-400 hrs on a set of edges. We got 60-75 hrs on all our sectional plows last winter and all are due for new edges already

17. Triple L

from Canada

I can tell you I have approximately 350 hrs on myn... id say double what Paul says but we also plow a lot of gravel and maybe that has something to do with it

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Speed, surface, anti-icing all have an impact on cutting edge wear. Generally the bigger the lot the more cutting edge wear your going to get.

19. Broncslefty7

what happens when the wings are folded back and you angle the plow? do you have to worry about them hitting the wheels on your machine?

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Great points on the wear life of a carbide edge, I am now telling people 700 hrs. I have a client in Ottawa that has 950 hrs and thinks he can still get another season out of them. I would rather say 700 and if you get 900 you will be very pleased. You also have to take into account the time it takes to change that cutting edge. If you save 7 to 10 changes whats that worth just in time alone.
    As for the question can the wings touch the tires when angled, yes on some models it can. We do offer tire savers that can be bolted on the ends of the wings, protecting your tires.
    I also forgot to mention that all our plows have a fifth wheel that allows oscillation of the whole plow along with a slip hitch.

right oscillation.jpg