1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Little messed up...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 82stang, Feb 16, 2008.

1. 82stang

82stang Junior Member
    from NY

Hi,

My 93 S10 Blazer has a 6'6" Western Unimount plow on it. I had a heck of a time wiring the harness up because it was like a rat's nest. But I did get it hooked in per the directions from Western.

Everything is operational on the plow except for these. The blade works great, but brings the alternator right down when using. Lucky it recovers well. The lights are the issue here. I got the headlights to work. The driver side low/high works. The passenger side low/high are backwards. When flipping between high/low the left side works properly, the right side is opposite. High is low and low is high. The markers on the plow lights work also, but do not blink when using the truck blinkers. I have never gotten them to work in that way, just illuminate.

Sometimes, when putting the plow lights on high beam, they turn off by themselves and I switch to low beam, which works uninterrupted. If I switch back to high beam, they will work and then sometimes switch off again. Almost like something is heating up and quitting, maybe the relay is safeguarding itself and doing this.

From what I am seeing and looking at on the diagnostic charts, it looks wired right, but it can't be with these other issues. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thank you.

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

As for the right side light being backwards, it should not be able to be plugged into the harness backwards, but I would check it at where the factory truck harness plugs in. Also, if you bought the plow used, make sure someone did not replace the headlight plug inside the plow light and wire it backwards......

As for the lights going out, I would check my connections at the relay and try swapping the 2 relays, see if the problem goes to the lows.....

As for the blinkers, how did you splice into the factory wires? Scotch lock or solder? Also, not to sound mean, but did you splice them into the correct wires?

When lifting and angleing, does the plow move slow? I know my battery meter drops good when moving the plow, but I also know my motor is getting to need replacing.... Could be the culprit as could just be a bad/ weak connection. Clean all your power and ground connections and see if that helps.

3. 82stang

82stang Junior Member
    from NY

The backwards plug in light could be a possible solution. I'll have to check that. Power is good for plow movement. I spliced in the wires, per the Western directions, but something's not right.

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Yeah, but did you use a scotch lock or solder them in? I origionally scotch locked mine in and had to redo it cause they didnt work, so I soldered them in..... Worked perfect after that.