1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

little help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by grasguy65, Dec 28, 2009.

1. grasguy65

grasguy65 Junior Member

I have an 8.5 western uni mount, when I am pushing snow it will lift about 2 inches off the surface and leave alot of snow on the ground. Any ideas?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have skid shoes on the blade, and is there enuf slack in the lift chain when you drop the blade.

3. grasguy65

grasguy65 Junior Member

no skid shoes and plenty of slack in chain

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicWhen it is lifting up and leaving snow, you should get out and check whats happening at the plow . How is it sitting at that point. Is the weight/bulk of snow on the mold board lifting it up. I used to have a Fisher with a foil ( I think thats what its called) and when ever the snow was heavy and wet and I was pushing straight the plow would lift up and ride over. When you first start off , everything is fine, but as the plow loads up with snow it may lift up, due to the curve of the mold board.:)

5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Sorry.....double post

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My old Meyer pivot was worn out pretty much....The blade was leaning back, causing it to do that....Once I fixed it up it was fine.

How is your cutting edge?

Are you sure it is lifting up....or just folding over?...Maybe, the trip springs are weak.

7. grasguy65

grasguy65 Junior Member

it is definatly lifting, was watching while one of my guys was plowing with it, cutting eedge is about 4 inches or more. trip spring are tight. very little wear in plow. would the shock that works withh trip springs have anything to do with it?

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This might seem like a stupid question.

When you say "lift up", do you mean, the blade lift up like raising up 2" and stay there?
    For example, using the control and putting it in the raise position

Might have a problem with the poppet check valve

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  9. grasguy65

grasguy65 Junior Member

it will like float over the snow, if you stop it will clear down to the pavement then raise back up!

10. twinman326

raise back up to 2" and stay there, then you would have to lower the blade back down??

11. twinman326

Like I said in post #8, you might have a problem with the "poppet check valve "

Or something could be going on with the 4way valve (S3). I am not saying your having problem with the raise position. This valve might have something in it port (foreign material)

here is the 4way valve (s3)
    4way.jpg

4way.jpg