1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Little help...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ch973934, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ch973934

ch973934 Senior Member

Okay guys some...a few questions for the experts.

I'm looking at a few trucks right now, basically I just need a new vehicle.

I was looking at a '97 F-250 reg cab, it's in really good shape outside and it, the downside is it's got 176k on it. It's never been worked or plowed and the guy will sell it for $2000 out the door, wants it gone.

Next is a '96 F-250 reg cab, again looks really nice inside and out, with 107k. Has an 8' Fisher MM1. It looks really good too, at a dealer for $4995.

Just looking for a little insight from you guys...

Thanks in advance!
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Putting a fairly new plow on the 97 is going to run you around $2,500. And your still going to have 176K on it. I don't recommend buying a used plow truck, but in theory the dealership has at least safety checked the vehicle. There may be nothing wrong with the plow truck. It may have just been traded in for a new one. Just look at it real close and keep in mind old plow trucks will need parts and work here and there. If you have to pay for most repairs you could be buying a money pit.
  3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I may have a lead on 97 F350 Power Stroke with a MM1 truck side hook up. I think plow is gone. Its clean and only has about 80k on it I think. You could steal it for about 4 grand. its just taking up space. It was owner of a local tow companys personal truck. Single rear axel. regular cab. And if you are looking at f250 on craigslist that is a clean looking truck. Too bad we got so much snow so far. He may not budge that much on price. Just from picture that truck doesnt look like it plowed much. MM1 with no rust and sticker still on back

4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

dont assume anything...bought my truck some a very credible dealer in my area, probably one of the biggest and best selling ones and they didnt do anything to it. They never went over it at all, looked at it and fluids were all low, dirty as hell. said something to them and they promised it would be inspected, cleaned, topped off and have oil changed. Came back next day and nothing was done. they finally topped off the fluids and washed it and claimed to change the oil. got it home, it was almost out of oil, so changed it then had my dads buddy look at it, long time GM tech, it was not even safe to be on the road. no brakes at all. drums worn down to nothing and both wheel cylinders leaking and ready to let loose. went back to the dealer to raise hell since the salesman garunteed me they did a whole inspection. the sales manager give me the run around and all this BS on how they didnt inspect that truck and didnt wanna sell it and ended up getting 3 free oil changes. i know it was a used vehicle and planned on puttin in a bunch of work but dont appreciate my life being put at risk due to their negligence. but what im getting at is make sure you have trucks inspected by someone if you dont know what your lookin for just to make sure vehicle is safe becuase you should expect to be puttin some money into it. just my .02 cents :drinkup:
  5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Mass has a lemon law. If you buy truck of dealer bring it to your own garage to get state inspection sticker. If cost to repair is more that 10% of vehicle sale price the dealer has to take it back or fix all problems. So on 5k truck it would only be 500 and he could return it. If they slap a sticker on it. Drive it down to any garage and pay them the 30 bucks to the safety test. Make them fix issues or tell them you will report station and delaer to state and town officials.
  6. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

the dealer will do anythind to sell anothor vehicle. looked at one at the dealer with just over 100k. o yeah good to go 8 billion point inspection blah blah blah. put it up on the lift next to no brakes, ball joints and tie rods so bad i was afraid to drive it back. tires @4/32 then had the balls to tell me yeah i heard you spinnin when you left the lot, the tires are fine. bought the same truck from a private owner with about 60k more miles (diesel) half the issues and 9000 less.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My truck got the name "The Big Red Drain" shortly after I bought it. I knew it needed new tires which I replaced. Then the front gas tank went,shortly after that the back. Then the fuel pump and front brakes needed attention. Plow season rolled around,the pump motor went. It's way paid for it's self but I still hear it when it needs some parts! That is why Dad always said "Never buy a used plow truck!"