1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

little help with lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mike13, Dec 31, 2014.

1. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Hi guys I'm going to say thanks up front with the help now.

I need help with this lot an the small one in front they want a trigger of 3" an salt every freezing rain an ice event.
    I've been a town plow driver for 3 years an never done com lots. It's just my dodge 06 2500 an 8' mm1 an 98 2500 . The lots are maybe 2 acres total

Screenshot_2014-12-31-22-02-43.jpg

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

What are you needing help with

3. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Sorry lol I for got that part. Dam Happy new year drinks
    like for a 3" trigger I'm thinking of 275 a push for both lots an salt at a rate of 200 an per application. I pay 150 for 60/40 mix

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

$500 or so if it was me so your in the ballpark

5. Antlerart06

I hate 3'' triggers Looks bad for business I don't do 3'' triggers
    Your price sounds good at 1'' trigger
    Only see one lot

You pay $150 salt mix you going charge $200

You running a V box spreader if so the $150 is that what cost you fill it?

Most of the time If it cost you $$ When you apply it, you double it or triple it the price.

If I had to guess
    Lot at 3'' I be 350 Salt at your rate 350

6. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

There's a small building in front on street That had a small lot. An ya I hate a 3 " trigger also I was thinking of telling him a min 2 " trigger due to the size of the push from one end to the other
    I thought I was a lil cheap on salt price but the push is also tough I don't want to scare him off if to high. I can always increase price next year. So you think 350 an 350 I'd a fair deal for both lots

7. Antlerart06

I'm trying guess your area I'm from Midwest and prices are a lot different

I seen a lot ppl on here pricing stuff in your area
    East Coast rate is always double my area

Plus I don't know your over head So my guess is that a guess

Maybe come tomorrow more members will recover from there hang overs will post up from your area

8. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Thanks man I do appreciate it. I've been plowing the town streets for several years an drive ways so it's a learning curve for me.happy new year

9. Antlerart06

Key with lots The right plow More you can push more profit there will be

Happy New Year

10. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

I responded with a price of 325 per push at 3" trigger an 300 per application 60/40 sand salt mix. I think that's fare price

11. Antlerart06

Hope you get it
    How long you think it will take you to clean it

12. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Maybe 1.5 hours tops. It's pretty straight forward

13. Antlerart06

To me look like 45 mins tops with my plow

How Soon will you find out if have the contract

14. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

What part of Ma are you from? Im from Ma as well. I bill out based off an hourly rate of $130/hr plus the pain in the ass factor of cars and traffic ect... Most of my lots are about a 1/2 acre each I get $100 a pop per push and $80 per app on 50/50 mix that I get for $60 cu yd

15. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

The first question I would want answered is why are you looking for a plow guy in January?

16. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Lol well there's been no snow so why look when we are looking for new accounts. An he wants to be on top of my list so my price went up due to that. An 1.5 hours tops cause I need to move snow from the front lot out to the street then to the back of the other lot an there's only one exit so there's more back blading to do an near the loading docks. I live in south eastern

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  17. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

So they called back an asked if I can just plow an salt walks an if it gets below 32° then sand the lots. I told him no cause of liability even with a clause I won't do it. Then he responded with can you just plow an sand only if there is a storm 8" or more. I guess no one else is bidding on this or there price was way to high. My next step is to tell him no thank you on the job. An say good luck finding a plow guy in January

18. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

My guess is they have gotten other quotes and your the cheapest which is why they're trying to negotiate especially being January. I'd say thanks but no thanks! Who the hell has an 8" trigger? I thought I've had some cheap ass customers but that takes the cake! Even if they agree to it after you try walking away I'd be concerned about getting paid if we ever do get any snow.

19. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

Tgis lack of snow sucks. An ya I may walk an watch them come back to me

20. Antlerart06

You price is $325 for 3'' Well x that by 2.5 for 8''
    Sound like its a customer nobody wants I would walk