1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Little Help w/ first bid EVER!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by erkoehler, Oct 1, 2008.

1. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What would you guys be bidding this job at? It is a retail sales and rental business, and they will not want more than 1" of snow on the lot during business hours.

This is the first bid I am doing, just looking for a bit of guideance! Everything inside the red box would have to be plowed.

1.jpg

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

thats fairly easy. what do you have in mind for time to plow? and what do you want to make per hour? ...you should be able to come up with your magic number :D

3. erkoehler

As a newbie I am estimating it will take me 1 hr all said and done. I was thinking about bidding it at $125?

However, I think with some experience it should take 30-45 minutes?

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

what about salt? what are you doing for ice control?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You probably don't want to get this kind of advice, but you DID ask for guidance. How much experience do you have in plowing snow in general and commercial in particular? If no general experience, then my advice is not to bid at all - get some residentials for a couple of years, then add commercials. If you have some experience with plowing and are ready for commercials with Commercial insurance and everything, then my advice is base your bid on the "30-40 minutes with experience". Otherwise, you have just set yourself up to not get the bid and wasted your time.

Make sure you're going to be able to meet the conditions, like no more than 1" during business hours. You're going to have to pretty well keep a truck and operator on location during storms. Don't forget to "pay yourself" in your calculations for all the time you'll be tied up for this one location.

With that low of trigger, you'd be better off pretreating with salt or treated salt to melt the snow as it falls. You'll be a lot more effective and save labor costs. However, you'll have increased product costs. Overall, you'll probably break even, but there will be other benefits that more than result in a positive.

6. erkoehler

One of the other guys working with me has a truck w/ a salt rig. He will be taking care of that aspect.

What would you guys bid on the above job? We bid it today, so I am interested to see where we fall.

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

per push or for the season? 5-6k for the season "ish"

8. ServiceOnSite

what did you end up bidding???

9. erkoehler

$250 is what we bid it at......per push.

10. ServiceOnSite

with salt??? what was the break down for inchs??250 for 1-4 325 4-6 6-9 400??? seems kinda low but then again your not in buffalo

11. ServiceOnSite

did you end up getting the bid???

12. erkoehler

They were comparing us to another company. they didn't ask for salt.....what would you charge for salt on that lot?

Hopefully we will hear back next week sometime. The pricing did go up for additional snow amounts.

13. ServiceOnSite

160 per ton spread. just figure on a min of one ton every time

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Can you even get salt?
    Better check on salt prices and availabilty before you bid.