1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Little help here?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nick858, Nov 14, 2008.

1. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I installed a used MVP on my 05 Chevy. Everything seems to be in the right place, but if I run the handheld, it does not function correctly. I cant get the plow to raise at all, and if I push UP, it goes to SCOOP. If I push SCOOP, it does go to SCOOP. And if I push V, it does go to V. All the wires appear to be in the right place for the handheld plug in according to Westerns publications, but obviously something is not right.
    Any suggestions?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Temporarily remove the control wires from the S4 (black/white) and S6 (Lt blue/orange) coils on the pump, and then hit the raise button...does it now raise?

3. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ill try that in a few minutes here. thanks And if that does work?

4. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I removed the two wires from the upper right hand solenoid box as you said, the bl/wht and the lt bl/ or and it still does not raise.
    Any other ideas?

5. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Now I have swapped solenoids around and come up with no change. The functions are as follows..

Scoop works
    V works
    Right works

Left Makes the plow go right
    Up Makes the plow V

6. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have come down to making the plow work with a ground wire. If I unplug the Sol2, and ground it when I raise, it works. So somewhere a long the lines, the ground signal is not making it from the controller to the Sol2 on the pump. Im going out to dig for a broken wire.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Kudos to your diagnostic skills Nick, but your barking up the wrong tree.

Because if the plow will retract and extend the left wing as well as scoop and angle left, the S2 signal is fine. Because it also uses the S2 to control those functions as well.

When your triggering the S2 with the ground jumper your not only taking the wiring out of the equation...but the controller too.

So basically the controller IS sending the signal to the S2 for the left wing angle/retract and scoop functions, but not the raise function. Which means two things... the wiring between the controller and the S2 coil is good...but the controller isn't sending the signal out when the raise button is pressed...

In a nut shell...the controller is dieing. :nod:

8. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Well thanks for the help BB, but I did find the problem. The signal was not making it from the controll to the S2. It had a bad connection where I put the butt connector through the firewall. I had been checking continuity to the connector, but the wire inside the connector was broken. Crimped a new butt connector on the blue wire between the handheld control and the firewall, and all is good!

Thanks for the help

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Had to be intermittent then or else like I mentioned it woiuldn't have scooped or angled left either, as it needs the S2 for those functions as well.