1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

little fun yesterday on my 8ft speedcaster blade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sweetk30, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

last week i took the pins out of my angle rams and a-frame piiot to inspect them as i have never checked them since i have owned the plow. its a old 80's vintage speedcaster blade with real light use over the years. so i figured i should check it out as the orignal c-clips on the factory pins were ready to fall off. got them out and found the main points of contact were rusted/worn down to around 1/2 the orignal dia of the pins. :eek: so i pulled a trip edge pin also to check and wow thay were 1/3 worn down from orignal dia. so i pulled the whole thing apart to remove and install new pins on the whole plow and truck side . i also found the trip spring bolts so close to snapping in half i was surprised i didnt loose a spring yet.

well found a place on line and got all the pins for the plow and 2 for the lift triangle all shipped for about 57 bucks. payup

it was all stright forward on the reinstall except for the spring reinstall. :realmad: i was sure glad i have a 20 ton shop press on hand in the garage/man cave. i tryed with a 4ft prybar to wiggle them in place but no go so the press worked its magic and i was able to safly compress the spring and use a small pry bar/lady finger to lock the spring in the compressed position and get them all in. but this got me 95% there.

had to take a extra old 1/2" bolt and cut the head off and grind the threads off and taper the end . i then used this as a hammer in wedge to line the trip spring bar up to the hole on the trip edge bar. i then took the 4 new bolts each to there new hole and smacked them in place as i drove the alignment pin out . after all this it was reassembled 100%

and hand testing the aframe with the angle hoses hooked together i found the new pins realy fixed a lot of slop in the system as i cant turn the aframe left to right by hand now as there is to much fluid in the rams to cross flow with the tighter pins now.

oh well now for the rest of the sytem to get finished before the season starts in my area.

2. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Good job. I rebuilt one of those, replaced all the pins and yeah, they do wear. Keep 'em clean and greased best you can.

That final alignment task with the trip edge and the moldboard is pretty tricky. I got lucky on mine with a prybar and a lot of wiggling and tapping. Course mine was a tad bent by the previous owner. Not badly but enough to make alignment extra tricky.