1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Little discussion of ClearLane?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnoJob67, Jan 18, 2003.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I searched and found very little discussion of ClearLane which is rock salt treated by Cargill with a product somewhat similar in nature to Caliber, Magic, IceBan, etc.

Bottom line, I paid $13 per ton more for ClearLane than rock salt since I wanted to try it. If they apply it at 8 gallons per ton, that comes out to $1.63 per gallon applied. I have 50 tons on the way to test it out.

I'd appreciate any feedback or firsthand knowledge you have of ClearLane's performance. I know a couple of DOT's in NY State really liked it, but they don't have to pay for it personally, turn a profit, etc.

I read an article from 2001 where Dale Keep mentioned various products including ClearLane, but he did not mention much about performance or the differences between the other available products.

Any comparison/contrast or feedback would be appreciated.

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

SnoJob67,

I used Clearlane this year for the first time.

When the temp got real cold the regular salt froze like concrete, the clearlane was moist with the outside temp about -5 below 0.

Above 0 degrees I only used the clearlane for concrete areas, on asphalt I used regular rock salt.

The clearlane seemed to have a residual effect for the next day when about 1/4" of snow fell.

Rick

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like your experience so far has been positive.