1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

little discouraged with my snow-ex 1875

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My new spreader works well, throws a 4:1 mix with no trouble, vibrator keeps it flowing if it slows up, the auger works nice and has the speed control, but the spinner also has a speed control and I think that may be the problem. It seems like with the spinner slowed down as far as it will go, it still throws the mix out in a fine spray that distributes it so thin you can't even see it. And it is throwing it wider than the narrowest setting is supposed to. The two times I've used it so far I have had to spend a half hour in one small parking lot trying to make it look like I actually put some sand down. With a conventional spreader that has a conveyer, it throws out big ugly swoops of dirt that you can see, or the customer can see. Might not actually be as well-distributed as mine, but they can see what they are paying for. And it only takes two minutes. I've looked it all over and I have no blockages, and it is actually throwing all the mix in about 20 minutes I guess, but it just seems like when it hits the spinner it gets flung hard which seperates it. Would be nice to spread salt that evenly, but I just want to get some sand on the ground thicker. I actually have to sit still or go back and forth a dozen times before it's noticeable. I can get out of the truck and watch it building up, then move it a little. Any ideas? Is it possible to slow the spinner anymore? I think I could shovel it out of my truck and fling it around faster, and make it visually noticeable. I actually thought about cutting two of the four "blades" off the spinner, to see if it would allow more sand to accumulate before throwing it. Or adding to the shield that directs it, but I'm not sure that will help.
  2. Detroitdan

As an update, I talked to a couple guys who said they think the mix I bought is too fine, so I tried some I bought at a big commercial operation. Much better! Can actually see it hit the ground now. Only problem is they don't have it covered so it's wetter, first time I loaded the hopper right up full it jammed, had to empty it by hand and swear at it for 30 minutes before I got it working again. I think a lot of the problem was that I drove it around for a couple hours full, so it compacted down onto the auger. Yesterday I worked my way up from half full to completely full again without any problems, so it must have had a lot to do with the driving.
    I pushed three tons through it yesterday with no problems otherwise. Not making the money I should be, people don't want to pay. I'm charging the same to sand most places as I charge them for plowing and they feel like they are paying a lot, whereas I am spending as much or more time there plus I'm leaving behind money in product. And doing physical labor everytime I have to shovel the hopper full.
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

hi i was just going through old post, how did the salter end up workin out
  4. Detroitdan

It works great, am very happy with it, especially since I started buying mix where the big guys buy it, instead of the landscapers place. Wouldn't mind finding someplace closer, but it isn't too bad. As long as the stuff is pretty dry it works well. I throw a tarp over it once I get it on the truck to keep it from getting any wetter. I didn't make any money with it last year. Don't have much interest in it, basically just let my customers know I have it so they can call me if they want it, but I'm not automatically sanding any accounts. So I only had a few instances where I'd get a call for sand. I do a small school lot who likes to be sanded, but most homeowners don't care unless it's an ice storm. I'm hoping to try to get some more small commercial stuff this year, not sure of the best way to go about it, but I think that would be the best way to get to use my sander.

So, if I didn't make it clear in the earlier post, it definitely was the lousy mix I bought, not the spreaders fault. Once I changed suppliers it worked exactly as it should. I can stuff the hopper full and push it all through, as long as I don't drive around all day with a full hopper, I think that tends to pack it.

Thanks for asking.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

maybe a vibrator could help w/ the mix compacting if used periodically throughout the event. (providing the vibrator won't harm the salter)
  6. Detroitdan

it has the vibrator. Use it most of the time. I didnt even know it was there when I bought it, it was a floor display model and he told me I could add a vibrator if I wanted, but I said I'd wait and see if I really needed it. So I was really surprised when I pushed the vibrator button and the thing fired up. Also surprised when I opened the box for the pivot mount and found there was two of them.
  7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

In my experience, the 1875 is the best Tailgate spreader around. I hate sand and refuse to throw it, but for salt, the thing is awesome.
  8. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Where in NH are you located and where are you buying materials?
  9. Detroitdan

I'm in Epping, I tried Landscapers Depot first, their mix was garbage. I then tried Galloways on 125 at the Kingston/Plaistow line. Not sure which town it is but their entrance is at the town line just past Swings and Things. Very pleased with their stuff, only issue being that they are huge so their mix isn't covered (Landscapers Depot is), so when it is rainy the stuff is wet. A lot quicker and easier than dicking around with waiting in line, paying, going out, waiting for someone to come load you and so on. All I do is drive in, drive on the scale, they wave you on and you go to the mix pile and the loader loads you. Then back on the scale, go inside and pay. So you pay for it by the ton, and you pay for exactly what you get. Don't know as I trust buying it by the yard and judging their bucket size. I end up with a whole lot more on the truck for the same money.