1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

little bitty plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Detroitdan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

little bitty Fisher

Looked at an old S-10 today with a small Fisher, I dont know if it was 6 or 6 and a half, but it was so cute and little. I have owned five S-10 trucks in the past, loved every one of them, but never plowed with any of them. Can anybody tell me their experiences with them? It has a 4.3 which I have found to be a real powerful motor for a little truck. I realize it wont push like a 3/4 ton, but then again you arent trying to push as much, right? Interested in hearing the pros and cons of a small truck and plow. One big plus would be that I can park the 1 ton and commute with a v6 instead. Just a little afraid of getting in trouble with too small a truck if we get a big wet blizzard. I was thinking about taking on around 20 easy paved driveways.

2. Detroitdan

I looked at an old S-10 today with either a 6 or 6 and a half foot Fisher on it. I like S-10s, had a bunch of them, but I've never plowed with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. What are the pros and cons of using a little truck? I realize it wont push like a 3/4 ton, but then again you arent pushing as much with a narrower plow, right? I'm thinking about taking on about 20 easy paved driveways.I'm just a little worried I might get in trouble with too small a truck if it gets real heavy. A plus would be that I could park the 1 ton and commute with the v6. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

3. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Small Truck Plowing

Last year we bought a Snow-Way for my wife's Trailblazer to handle some of our smaller accounts and do clean up in areas where it was to difficult for the larger plows to get to. It more than earned it's keep and got us 2 new contracts this year. We are presently looking into a Jeep for next year. Smaller trucks defenitly have their place in this industry. I say go for it! Just don't get rid of the big rig for pushing the majority of the snow. JMO.

4. Detroitdan

I dont have a plow on the big one, cant find one and cant afford a new one. Maybe a few good storms and the S-10 will buy me a Blizzard!

5. alamarc

alamarc Member

i have a tacoma. As long as you have adaquate ground clearance and good tires (BF Goodrich All-Terrain-- but im not bias at all) their great. Just use you brain and plow with the storm. Light trucks are useless if you wait till the end of a 12 inch wet storm.

One question-- was it the LD (Metal) or Homesteader (plastic) because the homesteader will not hold us for 20 driveways.

6. Detroitdan

it was metal. I have heard that about the tires from so many people, I almost believe it. except that I had a set years ago and they were the worst tires I ever had in the snow. Back when they first came out I was towing and I hauled a lot of them out of the snowbanks, enough to convince me that they are not good in the snow. Since then I have talked with tire dealers and other people who say they are great for snow and for plowing, and for everything else you can think of. I guess they must be great and I just had a bad experience. Mine were kind of wide, maybe a narrower size would cut snow better. I've also had Michelins that I hated and everyone else seems to love them. The best plowing tires I ever had was an inexpensive set of Pep Boys tires called Futura Enforcer MTs. They look a little like a BFG Mud Terrain. They wore like iron and never got stuck, not real loud on the highway either. I have always had the best luck with Goodyear Wranglers and Workhorse tires. Oh well, I better shut up before this gets moved to a different forum.

7. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

My first plow vehicle was an 88 Jeep comanche. It had a 6.5 western with a meyer e47 pump. wish I would have never sold it. Most of my plowing is small (under 12 cars) parking lots and driveways and it was awesome. Kinda looking for another one.

8. Detroitdan

thanks for the replies, keep 'em comin'! I've been thinking about it, just a little leery because my old man had a little snowbear on a S-10 Blazer and he couldnt plow his yard with it. Of course, he was in the Adirondacks where every winter they get snow in Biblical proportions. I just called a buddy of mine, I remembered hes got a s-10 Blazer with a little Fisher on it, he loves it, says it plows great.

9. Detroitdan

well, I bought it. seems to run and drive good. When I talked to the owner and mentioned I wanted to do a few easy driveways with it he thought that was a real bad idea, I guess because its a small truck and its old. However he said it plows great, only used on his own big driveway for last five years, never had a plow before he owned it. And it never let him down. So I guess I'll give it a whirl. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'm sure it'll need some work here and there, but I'm used to doing regular stuff anyway.

10. Detroitdan

well, looks like the S-10 is going to be for sale. Got home at 8:30 with it, next morning at 7:30 I happened upon an 84 GMC 3/4 w/8ft Fisher for short money. I've been looking at this truck for years waiting for it to go up for sale, last night he puts a for sale sign on it. Unbelievable! So now I've got two plow trucks and my 1 ton, and my wife is getting grouchy.