1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

litte help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OneBadDodge06, Feb 12, 2012.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ok truck goes into the shop.......

plow worked before it went in......

hooked it up when I got it back.....and now the plow doesn't have any hydraulic function

the motor turns but it won't lift or angle......and float doesn't even work

is there something simple on the truck side that they could of dicked with at the dealer that I'm missing since it worked before I took it in, now its not

Been the story of my life this winter.......nobody will leave anything alone and I end up always figuring out who screwed up what.

Thanks guys.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

is there pwr to the controller??? does the light come on? what did they do to the truck at the shop?

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Type of plow? Relay wiring or Iso?

4. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I have power to the controller. The float light turns green but I can't hear it click like normal like the valves are opening up.

They put a new fan clutch in it. The motor just spins......I can hear it straining from none of the coils energizing.......hooked the coils directly up to a power source and they energize but it won't work from the controller

All my fuses are fine.....all the hots to the coils have juice but the ground isn't completing the circuit.

If the solenoid is bad, the motor won't run/runs all the time right?

Next step is to wait for the dealer to open and get my controller bench tested.

Anybody has any ideas I'm all ears.

5. dieselss

If your not getting gnd to the coils with plow hooked up, start there. The main gnd on the motor gnds the silenoids also. Double ck that connection.

6. dieselss

If the motor is spinning, the underhood solenoid is ok. The pump is just deadheading b/c the fluid has no place to go.

7. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Its an iso. I messed around with it more and jumped the solenoid across the big lugs. Motor wouldn't turn

So the truck died on me when I went to raise the blade again. I limped it to the dealer, and it died on me 3 times on the road.

I did talk to the mechanic and it sounds like the pump motor is pulling too much amps and killing the truck.

Would it hurt anything if I took my battery charger and hooked it up to the two lugs on the motor to see if it'll turn with that?

8. dieselss

No it won't...but a charger with that many amps is hard to fine by. You could use jumper cables off the truck. Is your Batt and alt up to par?

9. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Part I don't get is I put a new solenoid on it just for giggles and I jumped across the lugs and nothing happened and the motor was turning before. Controller checks out functional too.

Batteries were just replaced at the beginning of fall and the alt is kicking out what it should.

10. dieselss

Ok so if your jumping the solenoid,,ck to see if you have pwr into and outta the solenoid. Then move to plow...pwr and gnd

11. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

There is power....I'm jumping the hot side to the truck side harness.......from the 22" side of the lug to the main harness.....but nothing happens...does the circuit need to be completed on the smaller lugs too?

12. dieselss

No...if you "hotwire" the solenoid the motor should work as long as you have gnd. How old is the plow

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I think i bought it in 05. I just tried to jump the motor directly and it won't spin. Wonder if there is ice in the tank.......might be enough to seize it??? Maybe.....I don't know.......wasn't a 1000 lb paper weight a week ago.

14. dieselss

Ok. You used jumper cables directly to the motor right???? If you get sparks,,,get some butter, cause its toast. Pull off the motor and see what it looks like inside. Might look like salt water got in there.

15. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Well I started taking the hydros apart and for some reason my pickup tubes were laying in the bottom of the resevoir.....

I think the motor is toast......we got sparks but nothing happened.......can these motors be rebuilt by say an alternator shop?

16. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes they can be rebuilt but that might not save you much money. Time could be a bigger factor.

17. dieselss

Yea they can....sometimes not worth it tho...the pickup tubes do fall off. Not that odd,,but still shouldn't

18. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You could try and hit it with a hammer while putting power to it just like a starter. I have had some luck with that just to get it going but the motor should be replaced or serviced.

19. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

So I was wrong......its not the pickup tube. It was the 2 pieces of tubing that puke the fluid back into the resevoir.

And I hooked my motor up to my big bad battery charger and it turned.....is it possible these things could get water in them?? Its warmer today so that's why I wonder.

20. dieselss

you would still get some kinda jerk or something even if the fluid was frozen