1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Literally Broke in new Snow Dogg yesterday

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by 86 CJ, Dec 11, 2013.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I mounted the new plow and headed of to the first plowable storm we had in our part of MD. I was working for a Landscape buddy, clearing a small town house community. The first time I got to see how the blade reacted to hitting something was a small, 5" water sewage clean out cover, shook the truck good and felt like it hit hard, was plowing straight at about 5 mph. The second BANG was a Manhole cover sticking out of the pavement about 1/4 inch or less, was doing about 10 mph. It felt like I hit the back of a car :realmad: I had to get out and see what the hell I hit on this one. I looked at the blade and saw that the center of the cutting edge had shattered the black powdercoat in 6" area and will be flaking off soon, then looked and notices that the cotter pins and washers from the pivot pins were laying on the ground :confused: wtf. I threw them in the truck and drove across the street to a school lot, then found that the Lights had shaken lose like crazy and that the blade would not move left, but could hear the relay working. I then got that to come free after 10 min of messing with it, went home and fixed the cotter pin and washers. I don't, think anything on the frame was bent or any major damage, but it shoof the truck so hard that my new Kenwood DVD player in my dash has a error and wont work anymnore :realmad:

Anyone else experienced this with the SNOWDOGG?? I have hit things before with Westerns and Myers in the past, but never felt this effect and I have a newer F250, those were with older trucks and Jeeps.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My VX has taken a beating over the past few years. Actually hit a rock about 2" in diameter and didn't bent any of the stainless. Most all of my drives are dirt and not maintained so it chatters and bounces around a bit. Last year I had a loose hose but that was it, lights have always been fine, along with everything else.

Hitting the objects you did, with a large truck like your driving behind it I'd say it held up well if nothing broke on the plow itself.

3. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I would say that sounds "normal" the pins are designed to sheer to protect the truck and plow. As far as the powder coating chipping off the edge, you hit 2 immovable steel objects. Overall though no damage to truck or plow says it performed as intended.

If you wanted to play with it, you can loosen the trip springs a little bit. That way the plow can trip easier/sooner, and maybe not give you that hard of a hit.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Were you in capitol heights?

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just realized my post says 2" rock, thats a little small, I meant 2' LOL

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

90% sure I saw you when I was turning onto suit land parking way

7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

You are correct with it doing what it was suppose to and no major damage found. I will back some of the spring tension out a little bit and see if it helps with a bit more flex.

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Whiffy,

I was in Crofton, so it was another Dogg :)

9. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I was kinda wondering about the size of the rock, LOL

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

It was a superduty and still had the plastic on the plow lol. Where you plow?

We do nat harbor and some other places. I do two in capitol heights

11. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

Nice to see another Snow Dogg in the area! How did the install go?

12. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Hey Hammer

I did end up going with the Dogg, but had S&S install it with package price, could not beat the pre-season deal. I actually called them yesterday after I hit the Manhole cover surround and jammed the blade hard right. I was going to run it down there to them, but then got home and fixed it myself. Yesterdays storm plane SUCKED. I did some clean up work for a buddy in Crofton and my Bank account in Odenton. I have two accounts in Edgewater that never saw SNOW stick to the pavement :(

Will wait for the next round and see if the Weather people can get one right... I had plenty of buddys in Columbia to Fredrick that were killing it this week....

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Sat is next big one

14. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

It was yet another bust forecast. I did not drop the blade at all. It was an all salt event for me.

15. Marek

Marek Senior Member

If you call 2" killing it we need to talk !Columbia was lighter than Woodlawn where we were at. Can you imagine what these bad forecasts cost , schools, govt and local businesses shut down. Not to mention what it costs contractors , think of how much more we stock up on when we hear they are calling for a bigger event . Try passing those stand by costs along to customers, its a loosing deal. What other job could you be wrong 50 + % of the time and still have a job ? Remember the big storm last winter that it did nothing but rain ?

16. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Other jobs would be a doctor , lawyer, politician, commercial lawn mower salesman !

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Ha ha no doubt.. Especially Mower sales man and aww heck just all of them lie who am i kidding.

18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, everything I have ever owned that is buyers/snowdogg, which isn't much has always been garbage!

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

What have you owned?

What do you use for spreaders?

20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We probably had 500 just in fuel moving equipment. Than we have 15-20 people to pay as well.

We ended up just salting and shoveling a couple sidewalks. We ran loader and 16ft pusher down main RD a couple times