1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Listen up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Aug 11, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I got home from work last night, and my wife says "Cyrus is acting funny". Cyrus is our 14 week old kitten. Sure enough, he can walk, but not in a straight line. A few minutes later on the way to the catbox he vomits and falls down. So I call the vet and take him in. Doc is looking him over, and asks if he could have gotten into any chemicals. Nope, all under the sink taken care of. Continues to examine and asks about houseplants. We have some, but have never seen him eat any. They give him some fluids and pain killers, leave him overnight.

After all this I was doing some work outside, and my wife asks, "What's that drain pain full of green water?". Yup, antifreeze. She saw the cat near it, with his paws up on the sides. She didn't actually see him drink any. He went inside shortly afterwards and drank a considerable amount of water. Went downhill quickly from there.

Got the call this morning, cat is dead. Asked her if it could have been antifreeze, she said very possibly. Antifreeze causes almost instant kidney failure which would explain the strong thirst.

So, I am not looking for sympathy, I can deal with loosing a kitten. My 11 year old daughter is not going to be so happy. Don't need a scolding. I knew I shouldn't have left the stuff out. There's no good excuse for leaving it around. I was looking for a place to dispose of it. It's down the toilet now. I don't think the impact to my septic tank will be much.

My reason for posting is simply to warn others

DO NOT LEAVE THIS CRAP AROUND. GET RID OF IT.

Save yourself and your neighbors the heartache my daughter is going through.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've been told Ethyl Glycol is very sweet and attractive to animals. Sorry about your kitten but a new one will fix your daughter and they make A LOT of cats.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like you found out the hard way Palmer why the manufactures place so many warning labels on the containers and is also why big brother has been on them (the anitfreeze manufactures) to reduce the toxicity of it.

Glad it wasn't a child...

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stuff works great for getting rid of squirrels.

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

LOL GV

Thats sad to hear since I have a kitten thats 12 weeks old. Hopefully a new kitten will mend bad feelings and dads poor judgement.

Sorry to hear the news.