1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

List of to do's on a 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Nov 2, 2011.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Just bought a 98 K1500. Gonna be plowing with it this year, never have ran a half ton. Besides the usual, don't try to push 3/4 ton kind of snow, what are the modifications and little things you guys do to keep them going. Im gonna order a bigger tranny cooler and gauge. Thinking about timbrens, but are there other options for the front end. How bout where to weld gussets on the frame? Hers a shot of the new ride

IMG_2581.jpg

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Add the gussets for sure. Total of 6 need to be added.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gussets, timbrens, synthetic fluids front to back.

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

Maybe a turn or 2 to the tbars, good shocks all the way around my old 1500 helped a ton to wasn't all over the road when I Gorbachev bump

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd definately upgrade the wiring of the charging system, search for "big three" for more on the topic. Also, check all your grounds and ground straps. Tranny cooler is a must. Check all other fluids, coolant, differentials, T-case. Of course I'm sure that you've already made sure that the four wheel drive was operational.

6. RCsLawncare

4X4 works great, Ill search the gussets to see If I can find a good picture thread. Ill check out the "big three", it already has a 160 alternator which is newer. He said its bigger than stock.I plan to get all fluids changed out... Thanks guys, any other opinions are very welcome.

7. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

8. NWanner

NWanner Member

I plan on using 3/4 ton springs in the front of my truck instead of timbrens as they're about half the price. It will change the ride height without the plow on, but I don't plan on running this truck much without the plow on it so it works for me.

9. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

These trucks dont have springs on the front.

10. RCsLawncare

11. NWanner

NWanner Member

Is it only the 2WDs that have coil springs then? My mistake.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011