1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquids

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by CityGuy, Jan 14, 2016.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Curious what others are using for a prewet? We use a product called Apex Meltdown which is a hyped up mag.

2. rlu_tech

rlu_tech Junior Member

Salt brine. 12 gal/lane mile.

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Currently we are using an 80/20 blend. 80 percent brine, 20 percent GeoMelt55 (beet juice). Not so happy with the GeoMelt so we switched to a liquid called Thermopoint. Plan on blending the same ratio to start.
    We put as much per ton on as the dispensing system will allow. I have 2 operators who can do 35-40 gallons per ton.
    We produce our own brine and blend in house.

4. Jet Stream

Jet Stream Junior Member

Message me if you would like a quote for our liquid calcium chloride blend which is a natural well product. Good pricing delivered to you by the truckload and is effective to -25 degrees F. We deliver truckloads of bulk and bagged road salt, bagged mag and calcium chloride flakes or pellets, too. Let It Snow! Susan Cromer, cell 786-566-0195, scromer@jetstreamfuels.com

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The muni I'm working for uses a straight salt brine with no additives. Typical application rate is 30 gallons per mile. Id really be curious to try a few events using additive and see the comparison.

6. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

What were the issues with Geo melt?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Crystallized in concentrate form in storage tank, even with weekly recirculation. This year when we got to the last 100 to 150 gallons it was a sludge. The vendor told us to just water it down....didn't seem like the best idea for a deicing liquid. We ended up taking the tank out (3000 gallon so it wasn't easy) and completely flushing and cleaning it. In the 7 years we used it to blend in would say I am overall happy with it, just looking for something better. The crystallization and sludge didn'make me thrilled either.

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We currently just started using Liquid IBG to blend in with our Brine and we are very happy with all aspects of the product. It seems to just work better in the long run than other products we have tried out there and is much less corrosive because of the blend of organics(natural corrosion inhibitor) and Mag(which everyone and the mother love to use anyways). So you are getting the best of both words and cleans up easy with water. Our Calcium had a bit more instant melt property's when applied, but did not last long before we were re-applying and turned everything white on truck and equipment(corrosive). We still use out 90/10 blend in some situations though.