1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquids in totes or tankers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alwaysgotit, Feb 25, 2010.

1. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

We have a nice liquid line
    meltmor ls-25 is
    82% brine
    10% calcium
    8%magnesium
    1% potassium

liquid calcium 32%
    about $2.50 a gal. In tankers depending on freight
    totes.....tote same as below and product is $3.25

meltmor ls-50
    50% brine
    50% calcium
    tanker $1.20/gal
    totes $100.oo for the tote 275/gal tote
    $1.95/gal
    price is same for ls-25
    and price may vary a little depending of freight

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

How much straight cal do you sell at $2.50 / gallon, annually?
    Just curious?

3. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

allot! why?

4. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Not trying to bust your baiis but that seems high to me. I sell ICE BAN for those prices but I am sure pricing structure for your area is different then here.

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Is there room in your town for another distributor?:D
    Think I might move!payup:salute:

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that !
    Thats over double what guys pay here...

7. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

it is and always will be a different market here guys.....remember out there you're sources are local....here it's overseas

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Liquid Calcium Chloride 32% for .........$2.50 / gallon????????? Liquidow is only $0.60 / gallon !!!!! Seems like you maybe $ 1.90 to high per gallon? Let me know if you need a new supplier.

9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

You are not far from Canada or Michigan I'd think its cheaper to get it from the local wells here in Canada or Michigan then it is to get it freighted from overseas.

I have heard some companies will be buying salt from China then from Sifto Cargil and the other big players in Canada and the USA.

10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Imported salt is competitive in the current market, but barely. In a $100/ton market, they are very competitive. but $60/70 not so much. If prices were to drop to where they "should have been in the first place" (historically speaking) then the imports may not be able to compete at all, at least in the midwest market (we have even more shipping/transloading costs involved due to our lack of proximity from the oceans).

Should be interesting...

11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

These guys bag salt and were saying the salt mines sell them there garbage salt and the good stuff they use for there own bagging purposes. That is why they were looking to import. Makes sense why am i going to give my competitor my good stuff.

12. Westhardt Corp.

IDK about them all, of course, but I do know that Cargill's "Diamond Crystal" bagged product is nothing more than their bulk product in a bag. It simply goes further up the river to Chicago to be bagged. A lot of South American product was popular this year, though. I do know the Chilean samples I got (SPL) were super nice. Brazilian is decent in appearance, but it's solar, and not really well received in this market--a lot of guys insist on rock salt. Peruvian is crap, period. UK salt is still floating around, but it's high in clay, and only about 90% pure....blegh.

13. Kubota 8540

High jacking the thread but, I got a load out of Lemont this year, either Morton or Cargill can't remember. Worked ok for brine making, but not thru the spreader. Does that Brazilian resemble Mortons solar bag salt? I'd be interested in that for brinemaking. I would love to get a load of the Morton solar salt (bulk). I have used the Morton solar salt in the blue bag and that is great for brinemaking , just too expensive. 99.8% pure? I think.

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Morton solar is 99.8% pure salt, good stuff. I believe they still bag their solar salt in Buffalo, Iowa. Might be able to get a truck load out there?

15. Westhardt Corp.

I want to say yes, it does--but I haven't seen them side by side to compare. I've shipped a lot of Cargill this season, and not had any complaints about performance with spreaders. But, I also instruct my drivers to be picky and not accept "garbage" (crust and what not). Needless to say, it's caused some friction, but I don't care. We pay top-dollar for the top-dollar material, and will not accept anything less. March is a different story--take what is left, and like it. :D

IDK where to even get bulk Morton solar. You might try the OP, he's supposedly got a boatload (literally) of Brazilian in Chicago. Maybe he'll send you a sample?

16. Kubota 8540

The load I got out of Lemont was small rock, lot of fines, and dusty dry. Worked great for brinemaking. I made close to 7,000 gallons of brine and didn't dump anything out of the brinemaker, not once.

17. Westhardt Corp.

Well, Morton is blue, and Cargill is white. That should tell you--I'm betting you had Cargill, off the barge (it's always the nicest, because the transloader hasn't been able to screw it up yet)

:laughing:

18. Kubota 8540

Cargill it was then. Because I ran out of bulk I had to start using the Bag solar to finish making brine to meet my obligation (aka big mouth). It dissolves so fast and clean the only thing that slowed the process down was my well. Its either that fact it was so crushed up or maybe the hardness of the salt? I wonder if plain jane bulk salt that has been handled too much would work to make brine?

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Woops, I meant Cargil.

20. Westhardt Corp.

Bagged solar crystals do dissolve very quickly. Compacted, not so much, of course. Over handled salt might work, but that stuff tends to be less clean, IMO.