1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GreenAcresFert, Oct 2, 2008.

1. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

OK, here is the thing, I go through maybe 75-100 tons of salt a year, so by no means am I a "major player" in the game. Therefore will be getting abused on salt prices. "IF" my customers go for it, I will be on a very short leash as far as when and if I salt. My resolution to this is liquid, I already have a 200 gallon tank and the knowledge to build this unit, but its all or nothing, I can't go back and forth between my tank or my spreader. By the way, I have a supplier close by that I do alot of fert. work for that will have the supply for me to fill off of at any given time. I've heard many different things about liquid and the best advise that I'm asking for, (PJ, Metro, any others with so timely experience) is..is worth jumping head first into. Does it melt 1 inch of snow? If it is raining and all of a sudden it starts to freeze, is it affective or does it get washed away? Do I tell customers "i can do ice management for a cheaper price if I can plow on a 1 inch trigger"? Do you just try to talk customers into 1 or 2 applications a week for the extent of the whole season just to cover your own arse? I have read so much over the last year on this stuff, but there is a lot of he said she said, and I'm just wondering if I spend the doe, is this stuff going to work. Not a big enough company to play hard ball with this rock salt ordeal, but I need to service my customers and turn a profit at the same time. Thanks in advance.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

why cant you switch between the two ?

3. GreenAcresFert

Just one truck, taking the tank out and putting the spreader in and out in and out,.... I just work out of my garage. On top of everything, if you are not buying large amounts of salt your not gettingany around here. So my liquid use would cut me back to, I don't know, 25-35 tons. Them guys will laugh at me if I show up here and there wantiing " a couple yards".

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

i wouldnt care if they laugh at you ,,,, are they loading you ? or are you just takign delivery ?

i asume your using a Vbox? you should be able to get a 100 gal tank or so to fit with your vbox, and have a removable tank on top of your vbox.....

i personally dont think liquids will in anyway out do regualr salt.... so i personally dont think i could do with out... keep in mind my experiance is minimal- but i think you could find a way to do both if you really wanted..

also form what im told you can preteat with liquid long before the storm, so if you had a 100 gal tank , that got put on top of your Vbox, and it quick connected with hoses, to a pump set up that was pre mounted on the truck , it might work... i just personall woulnt gamble on the idea 100% until you tried it your self

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I will have to agree with Elite. Liquids are just another tool, don't get rid of your V box because from my expeirence you'll be buying another one.

6. GreenAcresFert

Loading, and its a good 20 minute drive to sometimes towards the end of the year would turn guys away unless you were a big timer. I'm screwed as far as string any kind of salt, so that isn't an option. Man what a cluster, what I would give to go back a year to the $60 a ton maoney making glory days

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

wouldnt we all -

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

that sum's it up!

JD's the guy to know, he uses more salt in one storm than most of us will in ten year's!