1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liquid vs salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bytheyardlandsc, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

just wondering if it is possible for liquids to replace salting completely ? would oike to hear thought and opinions about this. building a sprayer now and would like to do away with salting next year.thx bty

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

In my opinion ......NO.

Although I know contractors who only do liquids now.

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I think salt still is the answer for thick pack ice and snow. And.
    Are there any other instances that liquid won't work?

4. Kubota 8540

High moisture content snow and freezing rain.

5. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

is that for all liquids ? or would calcium chloride be better?

6. Kubota 8540

All liquids. They dilute faster than a solid will. Adding water (rain) it takes longer for the rock salt to dissolve and disappear than a liquid that has been spread on a surface.

7. Kubota 8540

But in low temps and low moisture content snows liquids work better than rock salt, because the liquids don't have to gather moisture to dissolve, they are already liquid and are already melting as soon as they are sprayed.

8. Digger63

Digger63 Member

Fork,Knife or Spoon?

There's no true answer to this, every situation depends on the conditions you have. Having a more diverse selection of tools in your tool box will always be better and more profitible for you. Pre-treating roads and parking lots is a great cost saver, but not for every storm condition. Just as using pure salt compared to a salt and sand mix is a call you would make depending on the storm. As the title says you can still eat a meal with only one utensil, but having all three does make it easier

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It's like one tool does it all! Maybe,but never as good as a specific tool for the job.Always a compromise.Just another club in the bag.

10. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

ok, so would I be better off making my own brine with rock salt, or buying calcium chloride ? then I guise just keep my spreaders also.

11. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

by the way kabota, what type of hose is that your using on you sprayers. the green an yellow ones.

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im building my mixer and skid sprayer on a low budget So if dont work out Im not out much
    No body around here offers it for part of there service I have alot factories asking for it

13. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

100% agreement. those are the only two times that liquids falter.

95% of the time liquid will do what i want 100%. The other 5% i have to use my tail gate spreader to sprinkle some rock salt down or mag. chloride, or calcium chloride. with liquids you can also blend in other agents to make brine work better and at lower temps.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ch2-deice_51438_7.pdf

14. szorno

szorno Senior Member

The real decision point is climate. Like Kubota said if youhave rain before snow, then solid is your only real option for pre-treat. If your storms start mostly with straigh snow or very little rain, then liquids are a valuable tool. If your mid-storm temps do not go below 25* or so, then salt brine is a good choice. If you often have temps well below 25 then mag or calcium is a better shoice. Kind of surface, traffic, and customer needs can modify all the above guidelines. Not to mention availability of liquid in some areas. Lots written all over this heading. Read read, and read some more. :nod: