1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid systems for driveways???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, Jan 28, 2011.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

So i may have ro get back into Res plowing, not my cup of tea but I had too many request for it this year. And I like the idea of using the Res plow truck as a back up to the commercial routes..., then in an emergency pull that truck, and use side walk guys to hand shovel drives if needed

Anyway, I was thinking pick up truck, no tailgate, rear plow set up....super fast, super nice job.....what if you added a gravity feed boom on the back side of the rear plow and put a brine mix and applied it while you were pulling the snow out? Granted it's a hard sell for customers to deice their drive way, but on average you would use 1-1.5 gals per drive way. Which could cost between .30-1.0 dollar per drive....that's pretty cheap and you would REALLY leave behind a quality product that no one could touch....even if you just included in in the basic plowing costs as a freebee. I'm really thinking it would take your quality to a whole new level

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you include the plowing for free? I just can't wrap my head around that part.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Lol, No they pay for the plow,you would just apply the deicer for free possibly...I mean it would be better to sell it as a separate service, but I think that's a hard sell at least in my area. But I had so many people that thought my plow could do the same thing as their 18 inch shovel...which we all know is not possible. This was just an idea I had to really provide a clean finish and quality service for little price and little effort

4. corbel

corbel Junior Member

I would be interested in hearing some opinions as well. I am looking to setup a gravity system in back of a wrangler for resi drives n small commercial lots. Tired of dealing with bagged products and spreaders. Would like to get an idea of the application rates needed to do post clean up after plowing and for dustings upto an inch. Trying to see how many gallons I can fit in the tiny rig. I don't think I can get a 100 gallon to fit. Has anyone every used the chemical bags as a tank? I am pretty sure the 50 will fit but if the application rates go over 2 gallons per 1000 sqft I'll need to refill before I finish route.