1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid spraying equipment

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowin21532, Sep 27, 2012.

1. plowin21532

plowin21532 Junior Member

Im thinking of getting into liquids. Should I buy or build my first sprayer? Any suggestions on brands of sprayers or sprayer features to shop for? Im located in western MD and I dont think I have any supplierd of brine close to me so I will probably have to make it. Should I start out with salt calcium, or mag? I am new to this site and I like all of the info i've read so far thanks in advance.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

Are liquids only used as a pre treatment or do you use as a rock salt substitute on ice.

4. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

5. szorno

szorno Senior Member

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

7. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Metro Lawn
    What is the size of both your gas unit and electric unit? Im looking to get one of those.

8. Metro Lawn

The electric comes in 275 and 550. The gas is 330, but is also offered with everything but the tank so you can hook it to any size you like.

9. snowish10

Ok thanks Metro lawn, Whats the dimensions of the gas unit with the tank?

10. Metro Lawn

4x6 will fit in an extedend cab truck

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

How many acres can you cover post plowing with the 330 gallon unit? And what would be the price to fill with brine solution? Thanks

12. Metro Lawn

I can usually get around 7 acres and my cost to fill it is around $80

13. snowish10

This liquid deicer i buy from russo in chicago is like a brown thick liquid, whats the different between that and brine, besides the price.

14. Metro Lawn

Not sure, would need to see the MSDS. Sounds like one of the beet juice products. Does it smell bad?

15. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Sounds like beet juice. Does it smell like hell and sticky?

16. snowish10

No it almost smells like molasse, lll see if I Can find out the name tommorrow.

17. snowish10

I believe its liquid magic salt but ill double check.

18. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Its an organic additive of some kind and is most likely beet or corn based. Has no real business being in a liquid thats applied directly to the ground IMO as its best characteristic is keeping salt from bounce off the roadways.

19. snowish10

I found out its called liquid calcium, 39% liquid calcium, molasse, and a rust preventer. At russo this is $1.75 a gallon.

Whats the difference between this liquid calcium and brine???

20. Metro Lawn

I have heard from multiple sources thar anything over 32% chloride is bad. Brine is a combination of chlorides that can be anywhere from 26-31% The molasse? in the other stuff or sugur of any sort is used as a rust preventer, but is not really needed.