1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid sprayer

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Feb 1, 2015.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

We picked this unit up at the end of Nov. The salt rates here doubled since last year so we decided to switch to liquid. We also wanted to run a hydro seeder for restoration work for our excavation projects in the summer.

It's a 500 gallon unit with a 13hp honda and 3 lane boom. Each nozzle can be rotated to switch from single stream, triple stream, or a fan. We run the triple stream. The cost savings in the liquid is absolutely amazing so far. I won't disclose actual numbers so don't even bother sending me pm's requesting that.

We are taking the bed off that truck and having a dump bed installed on it. It's been a workhorse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is the boom custom made or bought? If bought what brand?

3. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

It's purchased through the same company as the sprayer which is a turbo turf. I've looked at these set ups before. Question about what your running for liquid. Are you making your own brine using rock salt or are purchasing a liquid pre mix just add water. How are the results compared to your previous experience with rock salt.

4. PTSolutions

We are using the same liquid that ODOT uses. Except theirs has some additive for rust prevention or something. We purchase the liquid ready to go, no mixing. The cost for this doesn't even make sense for us to get our own brine mixing equipment. It's good down to -20. Nature's aid I think its called, it's a filtered byproduct of the gas well drilling operation here. It's been used and tested by the DOT for a few years now and is completely approved. We are getting it straight from the mfg as there are re-sellers that are marking it up 3x what we are paying.

I will say, it is a bit more finicky as to quantity needed and when it is applied, but with such a low cost, we can afford to experiment with it.

A 500 gallon tank equals the coverage we got from our 2yd salt dogg that was filled heaped.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You must have some serious suspension on that truck. Our 300 gallon tank makes our f250 sit level but it's got 7 severe duty springs on each side and a 4 pack of helper springs on each side. What are you paying for the product itsel per gallon.

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Natures own or natures aid is 12 cents a gallon. It's not the strongest out there by way of chlorides so you have to use a good 50-120 gpa depending on conditions.

7. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Setup looks awesome. Where are you getting your dump body from? I have been looking and talking to dealers all over about putting a dump body on my 3500 single rear wheel chevy. And no one wants to sell me one or know of anywhere to get one for that size of truck.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Better off probably finding a dumping flatbed for an SRW truck.

Or just the flatbed and the hoist kit.

http://www.splitez.com/Dump_hoist_kits_pickup_truck.html

9. AquaSalina

AquaSalina Junior Member

AquaSalina Liquid De-icer

We are glad AquaSalina Liquid De-icer did the job this winter. Thanks to all snow professionals in Northeast Ohio. We will be ready for those late MArch snows!

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

We sprayed about 6,000 gallons of Aqua Salina since February and so far are pleased with the results.

11. PTSolutions

Well, small update on that truck. My brother backed it into a light pole (dont worry, pole is fine) and did a small bit of damage.

Broke the 3 way nozzle body on the passenger side, snapped one of the quick fittings when the unit slid, bent the bumper and rear fender.

The tire ended up contacting the concrete base and stretched the leaf spring eyelets (where the bolt to the shackles) The passenger side of the axle was 3" forward compared to the other side. Everything else was fine, it just needed new leaf springs.

It was using f550 springs before, so we just put new ones on, and even with a full load the truck still has a rake to it. Like I said, the bed is getting scrapped this spring for a dump.

We probably applied 10-15k gal. this year if I had to guess. I gotta add up all the receipts. Came out way cheaper than rock salt.

Going with something similar to this, not sure if steel or aluminum yet though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

so you did nothing but liquid this year. how was application done ? did you pretreat then once after .

13. PTSolutions

Yes, only liquid. Except for a few weeks in the beginning of November while the unit was being built. I would say that 90% of our apps were done post plow.

We should have done more pre treating, and with the low cost of the liquid, it wouldn't be cost prohibitive. The reason I say this is because we had long strectches of cold weather where after you would plow, the pavement would glaze over and it took more liquid to get it off. If we would have pretreated the surface, it may not have been as bad and could have gotten more off with plowing.

This unit will be moved into our 6500 kodiak with two additional 250/300 gallon totes tied into it.