1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liquid sprayer set ups

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fulltiltwill, Sep 11, 2006.

1. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    I have been doing alot of research on getting into liquid this year. I intend to use it on one of my accounts that is interested in it as well. I measured the lot at about 57,000 sq' so I need at least a 60gal tank to do it in one fill assuming 1gal covers 1000sq'. I saw the formula for Fernaldude's 33% Cacl2 but is that the same for Mag chloride?. Next is the spray system. I know to use a rain drop fan style nozzel and to match the psi rating with the pump. So here is what I need to know:
    1-Is the agitation ar bypass necesary when mixing your own stuff?
    2-Does an electric pump like on an atv sprayer have enough power?
    3-Does anybody use a Fimco brand system and do you like it?
    4-What is requird on the mixing end as far as filling the rig? Most of the cheaper spot systems don't have that capability.
    5-How do you feel about computerized flow control or is it just as easy to do with the speed of the truck, kinda like when salting?
    This systm will be going on a 85 tacoma and will be a dedicated spray truck. My main goal is to get or build a decent system that is upgradable and spend under $1500.00.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks Adam

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

for ice control, you can use salt brine which would be cheaper than cacl and it wouldnt have the tendency to refreeze like cacl does. in addition to the salt brine, i would look at adding beet juice to the mix to add residual. its like putting teflon on a teflon pan. you can get buy with 40 gal per acre which is .9 gal per 1000'. the average is 20 to 40 gallons per acre. be careful, liquids are not "if a littles good, more should be better" you can get into a slick situation if you put too much down, especially with caliber, calcium or the organic products. you will probably need some kind of a bypass. most liquids will stay in suspension, especially driving around. im running a 5hp 2" pump for my liquid bars, with a bypass, never have to worry about not having enough flow that way. check your pumps and see what the flow is. then match the nozzles to run about 75 percent of the capacity of the pump. i dont think an electric pump will have enough power to run a 10' spray bar without going ungodly slow, like 1mph, just not practical. i've never heard of a fimco brand. all you need is a tank and a pump with a suction line to the pump and some kind of a return/bypass line if you use anything besides a diaphragm pump. if your just starting out, just by the stuff already mixed up, you wont have to worry about keeping it mixed up. automatic spray controls are nice but they are bulky inside of a pickup and run 1500 dollars to get one ready to go. not needed. speed and pressure are adequate, more than adequate. once you get the thing plumbed make sure you put a pressure guage on it and run a hose toward the front of the tank so you can see it with the rear view mirror.(i know you'll be looking at the numbers backwards but you should be able to compensate) fill it up with water and run a constant speed for a set distance and then measure the square feet and the time it took you to travel that far, and then just adjust the speed accordingly. i run about 15-20psi and can run 15 mph. that may be a little too fast but we are usually doing it at night when there arent alot of cars or people around. good luck, anymore questions, call me, rob, 815-644-1219

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I kind of rounded the totals up for mag 21.6%is 1.8 lbs per gal so i just used the same for mag. Lots of things happen during a storm. IMO if your going to pre treat i would think solid stream tip would do the job but if your going to apply it to the dry chemical the rain drop tip would be better. I also looked into the salt brine but the time to make and keep a supply of brine was to much labor for the mix tank and constant flow of water I just went with cal or mag i can make a batch of 250 gal in about 30 min with a simple pump and batch tank and use the mix pump for the transfer pump also. If needed i have 55 gal drums and electric transfer pump in each of my storage lockers. But with all my test runs i still find it just one tool for control of ice and snow ,conditions need to be right for the best effect the best is a dry snow and cold temps were not much water is in the snow on ice it melts the first part quick but dilutes faster so you have to reapply often so a mix is needed so iam going to keep working on it but i will use it with the dry to make it work faster and keep the pavement wet.And yes you need a bypass to keep the tank mixed up or make a lot of turns(LOL)

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

SWP Liquid

I just went to a Seminar put on by SWP, they manufacture a MgCl liquid called SWP. The major point they emphasized is why theirs is more expensive than other liquids, it has to do with the concentration % of MgCl. The most you can have in any given solution is 32%, theirs averages out around 28/29, the stuff sold at HD is 14%. The optimal % for performance is 20% (or a -27* working temp), as the Mag gets diluted by the melting snow, its staying power and melting temp get less -look at the graph. They also use a dye so you can see that its being applied and where, and the additives they incorporate into it -unlike organic forms, doesn't smell, attract deer, mildew/mold etc.

It is applied at 6 gal per ton of salt, or 25-32 gallons per lane mile.

MgCl2FreezePoint.jpg