Snow Plowing Forum banner

Liquid Spray Truck

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  ohiogreenworks 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

We had our first snow of the year over the weekend and we got to put our new toy to use Thumbs Up

There are a couple contracts where they were getting fed up with the salt getting everywhere so they want the liquid calcium chloride. This is our first year with the liquid so right now still experimenting with how much to put down, etc.

300 gallon tank mounted on Chevy 4500. Powered by Honda engine. It's pretty cool, and for our first time out with it, she worked like a champ!

I also put a quick video up on our YouTube page as well.

Blame my dad for the poor quality, he was the one taking the pictures and video :laughing:

Snow Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Snow Vehicle

Snow Plant Building Tree Branch

See less See more
1 5
#3 ·
hammerstein;1140888 said:
Looks nice. Can you adjust the nozzles for a wider pass? Have you figured out the cost per acre?
You can adjust the nozzles, yes. But we have them now where we like what we see. The coverage is very nice if you have all the nozzles on... This includes the nozzles that shoot off to the side of the truck as well.

Cost is still being determined. The product works better as an anti-icing agent than a de-icing agent... We definitely need more product to melt snow/ice than needed to prevent snow/ice.

Again, we had our first snow of the year this past weekend... And the tank wasn't even installed on the truck until Friday night :p

#5 ·
STIHL GUY;1141013 said:
some companies in our town uses the liquid and it seems to work a lot better
We know that it works better at lower temps than rock salt. It does seem though (again, we only used it a couple times for this first snow) that it activates and begins to burn almost immediately after hitting the pavement.

The multi-family where we applied it at was down to water 20 minutes after the application once we were finished plowing.

#7 ·
WilliamOak;1141032 said:
What were the problems with the rock salt? getting tracked everywhere, pets, etc?

Do you guys produce your own solution?
Colin, we get the brine delivered and store it here in a 6,000 gallon tank.

The roads and cul-de-sacs in this particular place are very narrow and small... So the salt as you wing it gets into the landscape/turf, etc... So they didn't like their plants and turf being burned from the rock salt, so they demanded the liquid.

#8 ·
Does a load of liquid cover as much area as a load of rock salt? More trips to fill up or less trips filling up

#11 ·
BillyRgn;1141411 said:
Does a load of liquid cover as much area as a load of rock salt? More trips to fill up or less trips filling up
It all depends on if you're using it to prevent snow/ice or to de-ice after a storm.

If you are using it as an anti-icing agent (spray before snow begins to fall) you can cover 3 times more than with regular rock salt.

That all changes when you're using it after a storm. I would say it is pretty even if you're using it after a snowfall.

#13 ·
Jelinek61;1141420 said:
Thats a sweet rig, all the anit icing skids i've seen always have a really direct and narrow spray pattern. Does that work better than a more fan shaped spray? If you know what i mean.......
Yes. The liquid is so concentrated, plus when cars or whatever starts to drive over the treated area it tracks really well so it spreads quite nicely.

#15 ·
cat320;1141996 said:
how many lane ft does that cover? and when do you use that over the salt that you have?
We have 2 accounts that strictly want liquid, not road salt. We are going to start to use this at other accounts as we learn more about it. This is our first attempt at liquid calcium. We plan on outfitting at least one more truck next winter with this setup.

When all of the jets are turned on, it sprays up to 16 feet wide.

#16 ·
definatly a nice set up on the truck have always thought about doing just liquid but storage and processing of it always made me think otherwise salt or sand long as you have land and a bobcat you can put it anywhere . I think the liquid mixes faster than the salt which would make it better.

#18 ·
Nice looking rig!

Our city started widely using a liquid pre-treat and uses a very similar spray pattern that seems to work out well for them.

#19 ·
fargosnowpro;1162090 said:
Nice looking rig!

Our city started widely using a liquid pre-treat and uses a very similar spray pattern that seems to work out well for them.
Thanks for the compliment on the truck! Yes lots of counties in our area have switched to liquid in some areas as well.

#20 ·
BillyRgn;1141411 said:
As long as you know what your doing/ how to use it you will be fine!
You will be able to map out how much you're going to put down. This will tell you if you need a bigger tank or not!
Best thing to do is experiment in the summer with water!
there you can play around with it instead of wasting expensive product!

KMBertog;1141984 said:
It all depends on if you're using it to prevent snow/ice or to de-ice after a storm.

If you are using it as an anti-icing agent (spray before snow begins to fall) you can cover 3 times more than with regular rock salt.

That all changes when you're using it after a storm. I would say it is pretty even if you're using it after a snowfall.
100% correct

KMBertog;1162065 said:
Here is a link to the exact setup that we have mounted on the truck:

http://www.chemicalcontainers.com/InventoryD.asp?loc=100&item_no=DILP300A/AACC
No offense but you wasted alot of money on a mini rig.
With that dump you could have had a low pro 800 gallon tank that spits out 60 Gallons a min. across 3 lanes for close to the same amount of money

i imagine since your just starting out the 300 gallon tank is fine (for a couple driveways and small commercial) but know once you start spraying 3/4 of your route your gonna want a bigger tank!

Make sure you play around with the settings because you should be able to spray evenly across the whole road instead of just a simple downward stream (this is why you have a honda pump, otherwise you mise well not have it!)

just my 2 cents take it or leave it

#21 ·
Plow man Foster;1162296 said:
As long as you know what your doing/ how to use it you will be fine!
You will be able to map out how much you're going to put down. This will tell you if you need a bigger tank or not!
Best thing to do is experiment in the summer with water!
there you can play around with it instead of wasting expensive product!

100% correct

No offense but you wasted alot of money on a mini rig.
With that dump you could have had a low pro 800 gallon tank that spits out 60 Gallons a min. across 3 lanes for close to the same amount of money

i imagine since your just starting out the 300 gallon tank is fine (for a couple driveways and small commercial) but know once you start spraying 3/4 of your route your gonna want a bigger tank!

Make sure you play around with the settings because you should be able to spray evenly across the whole road instead of just a simple downward stream (this is why you have a honda pump, otherwise you mise well not have it!)

just my 2 cents take it or leave it
Your 2 cents, noted! Thanks for the advice. We only have 1 account that DEMANDS the liquid right now... As the years go on and we learn more we will adjust/outfit our equipment as it's needed.

#22 ·
WOW! Thats a cool liquid system Thumbs Up Looks like it works well, but yea, the fan nozzle setting instead of the stream setting would give better coverage.

If Kubota8540 wants to make me one, I'll give him a US money order for more than what he sells it for on e-bay. I'd rather deal direct....:cool:

(cough)

#24 ·
creativedesigns;1162316 said:
WOW! Thats a cool liquid system Thumbs Up Looks like it works well, but yea, the fan nozzle setting instead of the stream setting would give better coverage.

If Kubota8540 wants to make me one, I'll give him a US money order for more than what he sells it for on e-bay. I'd rather deal direct....:cool:

(cough)
Did you already get a quote from TripleL transport to ship it? :rolleyes:

#25 ·
Grassman09;1162329 said:
Did you already get a quote from TripleL transport to ship it? :rolleyes:
Yea, I'll give him some leftover Turkey & some free company T-Shirts! LOL....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.