1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liquid snow shovel

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dodgegmc1213, Jan 12, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

has anyone heard of or used this liquid de-icer called liquid snow shovel? I just heard about it yesterday and wanna know if anyone used it and what they think about it. heres the link to the website if no one knows what im talking about.
    http://www.asinnovations.com/home.htm

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The guy in the video says 1 gallon of liquid shovel treats 1000 sq ft. He then says you only need 20 gallons to treat a one acre lot. How does that add up? An acre is 44000 sq ft so in all actuality you need 44 gallons to treat an acre! He also says you need a ton of rock salt to treat a one acre lot as well which is ridiculous unless you are trying to burn off an inch of ice. Am I missing anything here or does this guy not know simple math and no idea about salt application rates?

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yeah the dudes doesn't know what he's talking about. First you don't need 1ton of bulk to treat an acre second you need ATLEAST 40 gal of any liquid to treat and acre.

4. dodgegmc1213

I didn't even pay attention to that part I was more concerned on how it works. he also says to apply weekly. if im spending all that money I don't think im gonna apply weekly and waste it, as well as spending gas money to go to all the site. I think before the storm and after will be just fine. I wouldn't mind buying some and trying at my house for starters.

5. Burkartsplow

Just looked up price for 5 gallons on amazon and it was $82. $900 for a 275 gallon tote. That is only 6.5 applications to a one acre lot. That is not cheap as I can get 16 tons of rock salt for that price.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

It seems almost easier to make your own brine from rock salt and warm water.

7. dodgegmc1213

how much a ton do you pay for salt?

8. dodgegmc1213

it probably is but I would like to eventually get away from salt. if this stuff works like they say it should and is better than salt I would try it.

9. Burkartsplow

$60 per ton. The salt mine is 4 miles from us on Lake Erie .

10. dodgegmc1213

dang around me its anywhere from $120-200

11. terrapro

from MI

LCC is the coldest it works to -25deg nothing else off the top of my head does. He lists sod, pot, and mag, I didn't even see LCC on his list but he was being very vague about ingredients and I couldn't find an MSDS.
    You are better off with straight LCC. His miracle is just that, a miracle.

12. terrapro

from MI

For the record I spent 4 years spraying LCC. I now spread bulk.

13. dodgegmc1213

I would like to use just straight magic liquid but I know it as to be certain temp (air or ground) for it to work or else its like ice

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This guy also stated that if one applied once per week, it would take care of snow accumulations.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm looking to unload, any takers?

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

looks about the same as bare ground...cost is about the same...I like bare ground and have good results with sensitive things like wood porches and steps

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure the product is LCC.

17. terrapro

from MI

I think it was AM leonard catalog but they were selling some super liquid for $20 a gallon. I looked it up and it was just LCC with a few others blended lol people are so stupid sometimes.

18. Digger63

Digger63 Member

What are looking to do with the liquid? and how would you apply it? The bottom line is to use what's cost efficient and easy for you to apply. some products can be customized to your use and some come only one way.A product that you would treat bulk salt with doesn't nessarily be the best to per-wet salt off the sander or anti-ice and de-ice with. Since you are close to me, if you want some more info reply here with a way to call and I would be happy to show you what I have and use here

19. dodgegmc1213

im just lookin for somethin for the future of my dads business. As of right now we sub off a landscaper who supplies the salt so its free to us. Now i kno my father is not gonna waste money on buying all different new equipment to put different material down. We got salters so hes gonna use salt. I'll try to push him to new things. Now when the business is mine i would like to do away from salt. Salt works fine but i would like somethin stronger and that works below 18 degrees. i dont like the white residue, the trackin it everywhere, it gets pushed off when plowing, gettin it all over the trucks when loading, and the fact that it destroys everythin