1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Setup and Ready to Rock

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LiquidLife, Sep 9, 2015.

1. LiquidLife

LiquidLife Junior Member

Hey everyone! I'm on the northwest side of Chicago, finished my liquid setup for this upcoming winter. I have three different types of agitation, as well as custom blends, two levels of filtering. I'm looking forward to November to see how fast she can make salt brine!

What liquid plants have you guys made, with successes and pitfalls? Also - we have used a variety of "sticky" additives, what are you guys using and what successes or problems have you encountered?
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Never used liquid before, but have thought about it. How many gallons could your setup make? Enough to keep all of your trucks going nonstop through a large storm? I plow in the city as well, where are you at?
  3. LiquidLife

LiquidLife Junior Member

Jeff - we don't solely use liquid. We also have bulk rock, treated rock, and 3 varieties of bag product, depending on customer requirements and what services we had sold with our contracts. In previous versions of the system, I understand that my predecessors were only making 250-500 gallon batches. My target on the new system is 3000 gallons of salt brine in a shift, right at 23.3%. Beyond that, the system can pull from any other tote or tank, to fill my auxiliary tanks. The system is also built for future expansion, where plans include rain collection from our building and salt bin cover during the summer months to offset water usage.
  4. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

What did you use for a filtration system? That is the biggest pitfall of my set up is keeping all the dirt and junk out of my storage tanks and sprayers. Cleaning all the dirt out of the mixing tank is a pain in the ass too. I'm thinking about switching my leg tank for a cone bottom tank as the agitation tank to make the clean up easier
  5. LiquidLife

LiquidLife Junior Member

From the solids tank to the agitation, I made replaceable screen plates to keep large solids out of the agitation tank. My agitation tank has a bottom drain on it, not as effective as a conical tank would be, but it works well in our setup. For re-circulation, I have a 2" Y-Strainer before the pump, with a few different mesh sizes, depending on what operation we're doing. The water input of the system is also right before the strainer, so if any granule salt happens to make it that far, it dissolves almost instantly. On our output to the trucks, we have a final 2" strainer with tighter mesh than any of our sprayer nozzles.
  6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a heck of a setup. I would like to see a video of it working. Also, good idea on a catch basin system for water.