1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid set up with V-Box on same truck?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mullis56, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Been doing the math on weights and on a 18' foot flatbed I'm considering to purchase I could put 1000 gallon liquid set up closer to the cab and some how run the hoses and the boom off of the back like normal and I could use a 8' v-box spreader on the back and be okay on weight. My thought is that we could use the same truck for anti-icing applications (pre-event) and de-icing with liquid or with bulk or a combo. Would plan on using liquid as much as possible but I could use the v-box say if we had a ice event then rain, just use the v-box only. Anyone else thought of this? Seen this? Is it a bad idea? I know some of the new v-boxes come with a pre-wet system this wouldn't be the same because the liquid system would work independantly and wouldn't pre-wet the material. Thanks for your input!

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

sorry it's not a good pic, but this is my setup on the truck that i run.....it's got a 100 gal and a 8' salt dog.

i have 2 pump's on the tank, one little diaphram pump that prewet's the salt (in the chute) and then a centrifigul that run's the spray bar.

PJ

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep , highly considering it, but with a dump/tailgate...i dont think ill ever go back to a v box....

i figure if you educate the driver, or even if its possibly your self, then you can determin whats the bst or cheapest product to apply. seems like the liquid COULD be cheaper, but has limited uses at times

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i forgot to add one other pic,

the tank is only 100 gallon but i just hit the smaller place's and if we don't need ot get the bigger truck and spray rig out if we don't have to.

i refill it by holding the tote above the tank.......someday i'll find the correct fitting's so i can draft off of the tote,

so far this year i have had great result's, and have saved alot of salt....But Mullis, dont think that you can replace salt with liquid.....but you can defenatley cut back on salt usage

pj

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Powerjoke, I will talk to you this coming week as planned. Thanks for your input guys!