1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid salt....?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We recently received a bid packet with numerous properties, however 80% of these places require "liquid salt". Other than a brine mix, what other ways are there to make liquid salt. Is it as simple as mixing a bag of calcium chloride to a couple hundred gallons of water? Any feedback appreciated.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Liquid salt is brine. And no it is not as easy as just mixing salt and water, you have to have the right percentage or you will create more problems than you are trying to solve.

Do they want brine or do they want CaCl in a liquid form? DO they want Magic or Caliber? Or does it specify brine?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats the problem, it just says "liquid salt". And the problem is I have no idea where or how to get, buy or mix the stuff.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a "Generic Term" for Liquid De-icer.
    I would call the contact number on the bid sheet and find out exactly what they want.
    If they want liquid applied in bulk you would need a sprayer rig (at the least) to apply the product. You would probally need a bulk storage tank as well. Probally need to do the walks in liquid too. It may be worth it to get set up but I would look into it before you waste your time on the bid.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Brain sounds like they need liquid deicer but don't call it that and they need to resolve that term. If they need brine it much more harder to make. Contact your local DOT site and ask them to view there brine production plant. Its simple terms it just sends the fluid over and over the salt on shelves to dissolve the rock then goes into a storage tank. The other deicer can be made with dry product and just adding to water in a recycle tank. Brine works great for first few minutes with a lot of traffic but dilutes quickly and is gone and needs to be applied on dry pavement.Liquid deicer works great with dry chemicals in a cold dry snow it gives the dry chemical some moister to start the melting process. But it also dilutes with the melting process.After a inch or more snow and no traffic to keep the melting going it's not effective and thats with just snow ice is a whole other thing. I worked on liquids for 2 years to see if it was worth going to and found out it was just another tool and used under the right conditions was very effective. I have the mix for liquid to dry if you need them drop me a line my lab guys worked on it for me a few years back. Also you can get brine for a company that pumps out wells the have to pay for disposal but you need storage tanks to hold you supplies The photos are of a comerical mix tank and one of my tanks for MgCl2 or CaCl2 I keep this one in my home for resupplies when I get home and dont feel like going to the shop and a old post http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=29665 Eric....

image_2 (Medium).gif

Picture 122 (Medium).jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  6. dlcequip

dlcequip Member
    from ohio

so you make liquid calcium

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I make liquid cal and mag to apply on my dry chemicals to start the reaction faster.