1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Questions for the pros

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Hello again,

I have more questions related to 90/10 or 70/30 NaCl/CaCl liquid brine mixes as follows:

1- Does the NaCl (salt brine) need to be mixed separately than the CaCl brine? or can I add both salt and CaCl to the water and mix at the same time?

2- Do I have to mix within a certain temperature range (of the liquid or outside temp)? It gets brutally cold here and I was planning to mix outside.

3- Can I store 70/30 salt/calcium mix together? or must they be kept separately and then combined in the truck tank when we go to do the application?

4- Do the liquids need to be kept within certain temperature ranges when stored?

5- Does stored material need to be agitated on a regular basis?

2. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I believe it is easier to mix salt brine and then add your calcium. 60 deg fahr is the ideal temperature, on Kubota's brine thread there is a sheet posted that tells you what percentage the mix needs to be at each temperature.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you guys use mostly sand? When it's brutally cold liquids won't do much either. I'd also me more inclined to just buy liquid calcium and use it straight.
  5. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Dave, he said he had a question for the pros.

1 yes, you mix salt brine with liquid calcium. Do not add cal flake to salt brine, it will settle out.
    2 no
    3 yes you can
    4 I store them outside. If they froze, they wouldn't be very good as a de-icer.
    5 now and again
  6. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Now if the pro's want to jump in and answer, I hope to learn something. But I have stated from my first hand results.
  7. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Great insight! In response not to adding calcium flake to salt brine because of settlement issues, why would this be? I should not mix my own cacl brine from dry form? My problem with that is that I can only purchase 30,000 litres of liquid at a time. Rail car or tanker truck. I don't do that volume @ 10-30% in a year. And can't store.

Our liquid manufacturing attempt 90/10 froze solid @ -55'c (-67'f) in the storage tank. I don't think it gets that cold where you guys are. I bought a salimeter to start testing batches to see if our mix rate is off.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's not very hard to figure out that sand is what you should be using. Your roads aren't even bare pavement so not sure why any customer would pay for bare lots. It's fun to play with stuff but at the end on the day it comes down to what works and at your temps I wouldn't even want to think about screwing with liquids. Oh and DKG how much liquid have you sprayed this year. Lol
  9. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Point taken Dave.
  10. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

not trying to sidetrack the OPs question, but just wanted to say thanks for the link! Ive got 67 pages of reading to do....uggg. here in texas we get a few storms a year, and I am curious to see if I could use liquid in my small sprayer for sidewalks and driveways when the snow and ice show up.