1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid product to treat salt in s jersey/philly area

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by knuckles, Dec 31, 2013.

1. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Good Evening Everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows of any in stock products we could use to pre-treat our salt inventory. Our only caveat is we would like to purchase Thursday in anticipation of upcoming storm and quite honestly don't have much exp. with pre-treating salt. We thought with the temps going so low this would be a good chance to try it out. In addition, how would I apply to salt pile. Not sure of the viscosity of these products so I didn't know if a skid type sprayer would work.

I know it's kind of last minute and if there is nothing out there it's not the end of the world, just wanted to give it a try. We are in the south jersey area but I'm willing to travel a couple hours if need be to pick it up. I sent an inquiry a few weeks back to I believe ice b gone but haven't heard back. Any thoughts or ideas would certainly be appreciated. Thanks again! Stay safe out there.

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

You can easily make your own brine for less than $1 per gallon
    A skid sprayer will work

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Plane salt brine wont help all that much in the low temps. He needs some Calcium chloride or Nag chloride in there.

Yes the brine sprayed on the salt helps wet it and start the brine process.

Spay a entire pile of salt with brine? I'd be leery of that freezing or clumping together. I have had magic salt freeze up in my hopper. A lil bit of snow got under my tarp on the salter.

4. deicepro

I know PLAIN salt brine wont work, I was referring to cacl2....but I get edited everytime I speak those words

5. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Well that's not nice. I'm just starting to experiment with caliber M1000 at the moment. Previously used beet juice treated salt.

6. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas, I don't think I'll be able to do anything for this storm (as it continues to be downgraded anyway) but will definitely look into your suggestions. Happy New Year everyone!

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Tough to pretreat pile of salt with liq calc. It will just leach out and the amount left on salt will not be optimum.All those other products are formulated to stick to salt, magic, clearlane etc. Best bet is to apply at spreader as you spread.Here's an interesting link, surprising results- http://www.maine.gov/mdot/tr/documents/pdf/report0303.pdf

8. deicepro

Don't believe everything you read....

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I treated my pile of salt with cal chloride, it played nice all winter long? Spray TOO much of anything on it and it will leach out the bottom. I personally think 4 gallons per ton should be fine. I know I don't like 8 gallons per ton.

10. melt all

melt all Member

We have it all, no need to seek other suppliers we have the best. A brine, calcium,magnesium and pottassium liquid blend with our all natural binder.
    Joe kelly at chemical equipment labs 610-497-9390

11. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Sorry Melt All, Just saw this. Finally had a chance to sit down after the storm. I will reach out to you guys this week. Thanks!

12. melt all

melt all Member

Pre Treat Salt

Chemical Equipment Labs carries multiple pre treat liquid ice melters.

Please call Joe @ 610-497-9390

13. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't your last thread get closed because you promised numbers and prices but never followed through?

14. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

If you can let us know your mn location we would appreciate it and will not be so hard on you.

15. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

I have also been waiting since last Monday when he said he would get back to me. Thanks in advance for the quick reply.

16. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Melt all is a spammer. He never answers his phone or returns a message. Ban him please.

17. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I know a guy that sells beet seed. Grow em yourself and a vitamix blender. Totally green