1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Magnesium Chloride Article

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I just put up an article written by a "guest", on my website. It is about using liquid magnesium chloride. I found it very informative. Liquid de-icers is something that has been discussed very little on this forum, so I for one welcomed the additional info on it. Enjoy!

2. greengeezer

greengeezer Junior Member

mag chloride

Here,in Ann Arbor,at the University of Michigan, they have been spraying mag/chlor for several years. Seems some of the underground utility tunnels were starting to crumble from all the years of salt use above them. Mark Cornwell is the man to talk to with the Grounds Dept. He mixes his own liquid and also adds CMA. They can pretreat or spray after a snow. If after,they would clear the walks and then spray. The UM has miles and miles of walks between the three A2 campuses. Even if the walks are wet or have puddles, they will spray the puddles and they won't freeze. I believe Mark has written articles about this. I think they've been recognized for their use of the mag/chlor/CMA by the environmental community for their reduction of the use of salt which ends up in watersheds.