1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Ice Melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FIREMAN Q, Oct 2, 2006.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Does anyone use liquid Ice melt for there walks and stairs. i was given 10 gallons free and was thinking about going to liquid vs rock salt. Does anyone have any Pro's and/Con's for this type of application...

:drinkup:

2. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

I'm wondering about this too. Any personal experience, folks?

3. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Liqiud deicers have their place.

Cons-
    NO grit - totally dependant on maintaining WET condition; physical traction non-existant
    Expensive in small quantities
    Dillution rate and/or dropping temperatures may require multiple applications to maintain WET condition
    Effective/economical application dependant on calibrated equipment and user experience
    Applicator learning curve!
    Customers get used to wet appearance, can instantly turn to glare ice with no grit

Pros-
    NO grit = no cleanup, envionmentally more friendly
    Easy, fast application with proper equip
    Very effective if properly applied and maintained

Good luck, be prepared to learn from mistakes!

4. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

thanks...have you used liquid and if so do you still use it.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search, then ask away. This has been discussed and I will answer what I can. Actually, when it comes right down to it, we all use liquids to melt snow and ice.

We've been using liquids for about 5 years now.

6. Surfside

Surfside Member

magic-O

Tried for the first time last year with a 25 gal Agri- fab sprayer with homemade boom. I am now building a larger system to spray...... have a "concrete wash" container on skid with metal sides. Searching for best pump?, heating the mix would help when its -0. I have to admit buying a hydoseeder would be a good all year investmentpayup :dizzy: Liquid is all I will soon apply!

7. Natures Edge

Natures Edge Junior Member

Liquid Ice Melt is a strong alternative when using it as a proactive approach. The benefit of using liquid is that it does not allow a bond to form between the surface area and snow and ice should there be more then a inch and a half of snow and ice.
    The downfall to this is if the snow or ice turns to rain it washes away the solution wasting the product. When putting down product use a sprayer of some sort which can supply a couple of gallons a minute. You will become discourgaed if using a slow generating spray unit because on windy days it becomes a pain.
    Hope this helps

8. hoosier

hoosier Junior Member

pros and cons

If you are starting in with liquids,please pay attention to the ingredients. If it a mag or calcium based product,it is advisable to not use these unless temps are 35-38 and dropping. Both calcium and mag are hygrpscopic and absorb moisture if temps and humidity is up and stay that way. This contributes to slick conditions. Whne my customers are starting out,ecspecially with hand sprayers,I try to caution them to spray to walks by misting not wetting. It takes a short time to learn the ins and outs of liquids,but most are satisfied if they start out commited to giving it a fair shot
    Any other questions feel free to contact me