1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Ice melt hand sprayer??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ford6.9, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

So, I picked up 5 gallons of liquid ice melt. The same stuff used to treat magic salt. I am looking to find something to spray it out as a mist. I have a metal grate walkway which is icing over and I was hoping a liquid would help. Thanks

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i know this sounds weird but im gonna try this myself....

how about a danville express sprayer? that way it just get rulled onto the surface, with out wasting it

3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I tried my, hand held 2 gal sprayer tonight and it was working fine for a few seconds and then I think it clogged. But thats what I was thinking.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

maybe just remove the two stock tubes, and make your own with bigger holes so it doesnt clog

5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Use a good quality 2gal pump sprayer OR Back-pak sprayer. We use them all the time and they work great.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you buy 5 gals. at and how much? That sounds like it would work for one of my customers that doesn't want salt on his sidewalk just ice-melt.

7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Call your local salt dealers. Ask them if they cant get it for you they can point you in the right direction.

I will give it another shot and get a nice backpack sprayer and see how that works out, thanks.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Where are you in mid Michigan.. I know where you can pick up whatever amounts you want in GR
    1 to 5000 gals. p/u .80 cents a gallon. 5000 and up is incremental prices. delivered

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I am shoveling off the walkway first, and just trying to prevent any large amounts of ice buildup. For the ice storm that just passed through the North East we just closed off the walkway. (last option but possible to do)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bassikgrooove/2607788031/

That's a picture of what the walkway looks like, so using normal salt is out of the picture.