1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid ice-melt do's and dont's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cseutah, Dec 4, 2009.

1. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

I have been plowing snow for 10 years now and have always used granular ice-melter. well this year we decided to add liquid to our line up and last night i went with some of my guys and sprayed a few malls that we have. i think i used too much material it was rather slick when we where done but i figured by morning it would be ok. well in the morning the north sides where still slick, and the rest of the property seemed to be better. again in the afternoon we checked with the same results. i had one of my supervisors check tonight and the north sides are still wet and kind of slick.
    I guess my question is this normal?
    Am i putting it down to thick? I used a 50 gal per lane mile 1.25 acre rate.
    do you want it to mist or more of a direct stream?
    we are using Freezgard + CI it's a Magnesium Chloride-Hexahydrate.
    any input would be awesome if you prefer not to post your can call me on my cell 435-994-0003. thanks, Marty
  2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I would play with your rate a little to see thats it. Sounds like some thick stuff! LOL!
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Call me, 630-851-8829
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Are you saying that you are mixing your own liquid?
  5. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

no we are buying it from north american salt out of utah. weve looked into magic and the chloride guy. if we dont get better results well have to change, but i have a whole tanker.
  6. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

I wanted to thank everyone for the info on liquid ice-melters. we have figured alot of our application rates out and have been quite successful with it. i do have to say though that you kind of short yourself on some billable time by pre treating lots. It has been a good experience for us and again just wanted to thank everyone who gave us some insight, if i can ever be of assistance in the future please don't hesitate calling or emailing us.
    Thanks, Marty
  7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I know with Magic and Iceban Pavement temp is key. If it is above freezing then it gets slick
  8. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

The chloride guys stuff works gotta play with it to learn the app rates but it works ans hes got it priced right. All around good guy I am buying from him screw making it.
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Ok, THIS thread is missing some chapters! :D
  10. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

What chapters
  11. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

it's actually a post i started a while ago and just wanted to go back in and thank the guys that called and gave me some insight into liquids.