1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid deicers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowGodFather, Jun 2, 2003.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

PLease post pics of your set up.

Also what type of pumps are you using?
  2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Back to the top, I think I posted it to early in the season.
  3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

This is my newer spray rig. It is sold by Prestige Inc. in Brighton, Colorado. Mine is a 350 gal tank with 5.5 hp honda pump engine. I have 2 boom extensions that allow me to spray about 16 ft at a single pass. This is my 3rd year with this rig spraying FreezeGard 100 solution from Envirotech services. I like the fast fill system, and the legs that unfold for summer storage. Controls are very simple. off or on. They have other options but I couldn't afford it and this works great. Will post pics of the other rig later.:nod:
    The pump is a Banjo low pressure, high volume all plastic model.:D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

This is my original rig. 3/4 T Dodge with an agricultural spray unit, 200 gal tank 5 hp B&S engine. Originally asembled by Remcor sprayers. I changed the spray heads to a raindrop type. it runs 45-50 psi and sprays a path 14 ft wide.

snow white 1.jpg
  5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Hey that looks great, can you tell me what nozzles, rates, pump etc... on those rigs?
  6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Ok Godfather, lets try this:
    chevy dually- 5 hp Honda engine with Banjo 2" all plastic pump- 200 gpm at 25 psi. Spray heads are Delavan "RA-Raindrop" type on a sectional boom. Tank is 350 gal Raven low profile tank on steel skid with drop down legs for summer storage.

dodge 3/4 T- 5 hp Briggs engine with Hypro model 9513P pump 83 gpm at 55 psi. Spray heads are T-jet driftguards run at 50 psi on a fixed width boom. Tank is a Raven 200 gallon low profile on a steel skid.

both trucks have very simple hand spray guns with 25 ft of hose. Both have an in-line filter before the boom.
    Go ahead and email me with more specific questions if you like.

Think Snow !!:nod:
  7. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Thanks, and I am thinking snow....................

There aint no business like snow business.
  8. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

Hey Scott nice rig what type of luck with melting performance have you had with Freezegard 100? Do you recommend it over dry?

Snowfighter G

Dreaming of a White Christmas!
  9. szorno

szorno Senior Member

We use the liquid as a pre-treatment. We put it down before the storm starts. We like it well, because we can schedule the work at our leisure 24-48 hrs or more before the storm. Our customers like it because it pretty well eliminates ice. It makes the plow peel up all the snow leaving black pavement on most locations. It is also fairly cost effective. Dry is still best for existing small areas of ice. (like when a drain lets water go across a lot and freeze up) If we have hard pack on a large area, we use a different nozzle on our spray boom. The ice/pack nozzles hit with a narrow stream as opposed to a fan. It kind of cuts the hard pack in a large area.
    Bottom line- Pre-treat large areas with liquid is best. Dry is still necessary for small areas of badly glazed and iced pavement.:waving:
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Scott, i don't know if you remember me, but we talked out at the SIMA symposium in Denver a couple years ago. We started with liquids that year and are still learning. Sorry Snowgodfather, no pics that I can find right now.

We want with a Monroe all season sprayer with a 40 GPM electric pump. This is OK to start with, but I am thinking very seriously about changing it to a gas pump. So I would like to make sure the volumes you posted are correct.

You have a 200 GPM pump on the one truck and 83 GPM on the other? Is there one you prefer over the other? I see that the pressures are different as well, do you use one sprayer over the other for different types of applications, i.e. anti-icing over de-icing?

Thanks in advance.
  11. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey Mark,
    good to hear from you. I just saw a simple system with an electric pump yesterday at the Western Snow and Ice Conference in Greeley, Colorado. Looked OK, but I am a little skeptical about long-term performance with a thicker than water liquid like mag or Caliber.
    The deal with the pump capacities is this: You match the pump and the spray heads & boom you are going to use. Our original system uses an agricultural-type head. It is fed by a 5/8 i.d. hose and needs 45-50 psi to perform correctly.( as rated by the mfgr) The pump is much smaller as far as gpm goes, but with a 5/8 inch line, there is only so much you can get thru it in a minute.

the other (newer) truck is fed by a 2" output line reduced to a 1 or 1.25 (not sure)line to the boom. The spray heads are much larger and run a 2" pvc pipe between them. The mfgr of these heads says 20-30 psi. I don't have a guage on this truck but the folks I bought it from said it would do about 25 psi at 1/3 throttle. Notice in the above posts the difference in max spray width. I can really cover some road with the newer truck.
    Both trucks are set for anti-icing. I have stream type spray heads for the new truck for de-icing. I rarely use them though. flow rates have to increase almost double, or for me, truck speed goes in half. empties the truck pretty quick, but if you need it, you need it.

I think I like the newer, low pressure system. Lots of reasons. I can fill from either yard tank without a seperate pump. I can do both de-ice and anti-ice by just swapping the spray heads. I can add an extension to the boom and go from 8-9 ft coverage to 16 ft coverage easily.
    Sorry about the essay but... you asked for it.
    keep smiling and think snow !purplebou
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the essay. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about it. I will have to do some checking to see what pressure our nozzles are rated for.

I agree with the statement about electric pumps. Because we were just starting, we thought that it might be a good way to go, and it has worked for a couple years, but I think it's time to upgrade.

We have had the same problem, the only way we can just application rates is by driving slower\faster, the pump is pretty much maxed out volume wise with one or two lanes going. We try the third lane and it really doesn't gain us any width.

And yes I am thinking snow, just not as early as you out west.
  13. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Nothing wrong with long descriptive posts, I am reading them.. Thaks, anymore you can tell us just post them.

Also the larger plumbed system in more versatile correct?
  14. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Godfather, that is essentially true, but the issue is that I have an expandable boom and easily changed spray heads on the low pressure truck. I have seen expandable booms on high pressure systems as well. I hear there are stream type spray heads for high pressure systems, but I have not bothered to find them.:D
  15. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

I think Integrated Resources in Golden has their trucks set up with two spray bars, one with the wide spray nozzles and one with the more direct spray nozzles, and the system can be switched from one to the other with just a lever flip. That way you don't have to do a whole nozzle change out each time.
  16. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Yeah Karen,
    when we were up at Sam Granatos place he had dual booms on both trucks I looked at. He even had an in-cab switch to change from anti-icing fan spray to de-icing streams. Super cool, but outa my league for now. I don't do enough de-icing to bother yet. I see a day not long in the future though. payup