1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid deicers??? Need some input.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WHITE=GREEN, Feb 10, 2005.

1. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

Im in the process of setting up my buyers v-box with a prewet system. I need some suggestions on what liquids work best. It would be used only on parking lots, no streets or roads. Im looking mainly to speed up and lower my melting points and also to buy more time between applications. Im thinking liquid calcium or liquid mag. Any other suggestions?

2. capital

capital Senior Member

I am not sure what you plan on running through your spreader. Sand or Salt? If you are running sand then the pre wet is not required for parking lots as pre wetting is used to increase the likely hood that the material will stay on the road way vice the ditch. Also pre wetting increases the activation time but does not drasticly alter your low melt point with the product your using. I looked at the pics of your truck. IE 350 with sander and was wondering if you have figured load requirements for pre wet with a full load of sand or salt. I thnk you might be over loading your weight limit on your truck. We run a pre spray system for parking lots before snows but after only used bulk salt or sand mixed with salt in same trucks but make sure the brine tanks are close to empty due to load max on trucks and we use two chevy 4500.

3. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

the spreader you see in those pics is actually in my dump truck now so weight wont be too much of an issue. planning on a 50 gal tank at most figuring application rates of 6-9 gal per ton of whatever chemical i decide on. we run straight salt thru all of our spreaders. just looking for a product that will help when the temps are below 25 when salt is as effective.

4. capital

capital Senior Member

Ok now I follow what your thinking of doing. I went down the same path and I ended up buying salt from Cargil that is pre treated with mag. It lowers its effective temp down to about -6. It looks alot like sand as it is brown in color. We run the same size hopper as you but do have a 300 gal tank for pre spray on each flat bed. I have toyed with the idea of spraying brine while laying sand but usually have salt in the mix with sand. Alot of my clients have switched to pure salt since it actually is more cost effective once they realize the tracking into their building is much less hazzle.

5. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Question for Capital

Is that product from Cargill called ClearLane? How long have you been using it?

6. capital

capital Senior Member

Just this year, like everything thus far no real problems other than not letting it get wet, and before we did not have vibrators on our spreaders but do not to keep product flowing.

7. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Heard of it

Yea I know the product, have not heard much good about it, but to each his own. I know of a city that used it and said that molasses might be good in the kitchen, but not on roadways. They even had a news article on the local TV channel, not much good to say about it there either, but they always report half the story like every other news channel. I am glad to hear that you have had success using it.

White=Green
    If you don't already know, there are products in Pa. that you can add to your saltpile, and not have to invest money in a pre-wet system. Might be an even better alternative?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

You could treat the salt with Magic O liquid, either in the pile or in the spreader. That would solve several of the problems you describe.

9. "MR.PLOW"

"MR.PLOW" Member

Make Your Own

Just make your own brine solution. Just mix 1/2 salt with 1/2 water in your heated garage and it will liquify. This will prewett your salt with the salt brine. It is very effective.

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

1/2 of what? half pound of salt to half pound of water, half gallon salt to half gallon water, half a shoe salt half shoe of water? Sounds great but could you be a bit more specific.

11. capital

capital Senior Member

To make salt brine is not two parts salt one part water. We make batches at 350 gallons a shot and store about 1500 gallons at anyone time. We test our batches as we make them and have a present salinity solutioin we go for based on Iowa Dot notes that we use.

12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

liquid cal & mag

you can also make your own liquid cal or mag same as the salt brine but the mix is not the same you need 30 to 35 percent i mix it in 250 gal batches and have 50 gal tanks in my broncoII's but you have got to have the right conditions for it to work right .. :waving: