1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid deicer spraying tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lightningllc, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

Does anyone have good luck with liquid deicer, I have made it bought it,9- 2 gal minute tip straight stream, triple tip and fan tip. In snow I have had the best luck with the fan tip over the other 2. Thoughts anyone or trial and error ????

Michigan has not had the best snow conditions this year a lot of rain and ice. So pre-treatment hasn't been much of an option. Rock salt is been my best weapon this year with about 5 gallons per ton of liquid.

Anyone has any tips about liquid let me know.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I've made my own salt brine and used it for anti-icing and deicing with cheap favorable results. Then mixed 90% salt brine and 10% calcium chloride and had better results at some lower temps in the mid 20's. Also have sprayed straight liquid calcium chloride at -7 degrees with amazing results in less than 45 minutes on top of an inch of snow. Have not yet been set up to pre-treat any dry material at the spinner. I prefer the triple stream for anti-icing and deicing. Fan spray when I spray straight LCC. Currently able to produce my salt brine for .12 cents per gallon, pretty hard to compare to other liquids.