1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid De-icing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Natesnomow, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

Does anybody spray liquid de-icing? We seem to be the only ones around our area that does it. Other people say it is to much of a hasle. We have a tank that we put in the back of the truck that has a boom that hooks to the reciever hitch. It is very nice. Good for pre-icing. Just curious if anybody else does it. It makes good weight too.

2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Check under ice management, there are LOTS of guys who do that here.
    You might also want to look at the FAQs
  3. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

If your using de-icer you are leaps and bounds above the majority of your competition. Most clients/contractor dont know that rock slat will only be effective down to 20 degrees. where liquid products go well below -20 degrees. I would say that not many contractors are using it. Good question to ask though. It will be interesting to see how many respond.
  4. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

I hear if you put gasoline on the top of a driveway and then light it the snow will melt and the water will move the gas down the drivway and poof no more snow! (please dont attempt this):dizzy:
  5. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

That is not a bad idea. If it gets real bad and we can't keep up, I might have to try that one. That would get pretty expensive buying all that gas. :yow!:

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

One of my customers is the R&D side of Glacial Technologies. They are providing me with their product to use on their property this year. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, as our 1st snow started as rain and ended up being very wet snow. It was late afternoon before I did their property on Sunday and after we cleared the sidewalks, a deicer was not needed. I'm waiting on an event that does not start as rain and I'm going to spray before the event and see what happens. They say it is the cats ***. I think it is their nc3000, they keep a 55 gallon drum full of it with a hand pump for me. I'll let you know how it works.
  7. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

Last year we set up an Isuzu NPR flatbed cabover with a 500 gallon tank, pump, front mounted boom, and all that. Since we are a pest control company we had all the gear. No one wanted the service, so we ended up with all these 55 gallon barrels of liquid de-icer. This year, people want it, and we didn't set the truck up. We are thinking of setting up a smaller rig in the plow truck, we'll see.

Surprisingly, those Isuzu NPRs make good plow rigs. There is a guy with a 4x4 NPR tow truck that runs a blade in the winter, and it works very well. They have a super tight turning radius, they are diesel, why not? Too bad ours is 2 wheel drive....