1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid De-icers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RHarrah, Dec 23, 2005.

1. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

Are they abrasive?

Thinking of converting a sprayer I currently have to use the liquid de-icers in but the pump is made of brass.
  2. Surfside

Surfside Member

magic o

I was told by my supplier of Magic-O that I should keep it away from aluminum
    I myself am just getting started with liquid application and probably going to use a Agri-fab sprayer 25gallon w/ 12v pump. I have a chance to buy one used for a cheap price but dont know if it contians any aluminum:dizzy: I guess this may help you if you are using the same product.:drinkup:
  3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Most liquids are not particularly abrasive. Open aluminum and copper are the only things that corrode faster than with water. I get 5-7 years from a pump. We use either straight magnesium chloride with corrosion inhibitor (Freeze-guard) or Caliber. Magic is a little thicker, and has more suspended solids, but I do not think it is any more abrasive.