1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liquid de-icer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dan67, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dan67

dan67 Member

quick question. Most everything is plowed around here. No salting. City and State started using liquid De-icer, They say it's Magnesium Chloride. What is the advantage over salt or salt brim. Thanks
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

It will work to colder temps then sodium chloride products. Although many states have bailed on it, after they created skating rinks, causing major pile ups, from improper application.

Liquids are not like throwing down salt, they have to be properly mixed, and properly applied, within the window they work best at. theres a learning curve for sure.
  3. dan67

dan67 Member

Thanks, it sure makes a funny film on the side of my p/u
  4. Bill QT

Bill QT Junior Member
    from NC

T-Man, I have been searching for over 2 months for information on using LCC alone. I see you have been a member since"01, and I would like to know your thoughts. Can you use LCC without salt, or am I best advised to by a spreader also. I am new, and unfortunately there is no one to sub from in my area, to learn the business. They know that you are going to be a competitor next year. I have heard that with just LCC, you can create a skating rink, at certain temps. What is your opinion. Thanks Bill